• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another heat soak thread

In my experience with owning 7 XJ Cherokees and as one of the problem solvers in my local Jeep club, any OBD-II engine sensor that is not genuine Jeep is suspect. YMMV.

Most auto parts stores sell cheap crappy Chinese made parts, some that even come with a "Lifetime Warranty". These parts are poorly manufactured and/or made from inferior materials. They are often out of specification, or even failed, right out of the box. The ones that are not faulty many times will have a short service life before they fail. Always buy top quality replacement parts and genuine Jeep engine sensors. Numerous threads detail long and frustrating searches for a "problem" that ended up being cured simply with genuine Jeep repair parts.

Cheap parts are cheap for a reason.

When mine started dieing when put in reverse I found it was a wire rubbed on the back of the intake. As for jacking the back of the hood I found it greatly helped at slow speed but hurt cooling at highway speed.

I have a potentially important update for random stalling/dying threads. You were right on the money with the rubbing wire. To recap, my 2001 XJ was doing strange things. If I stopped somewhere when after going on the freeway, it would not start until it cooled off. Putting the Jeep in reverse when at operating temp would kill it. Turning right and hitting a bump would kill it.

So, I finally got around to checking the wiring harness, and sure enough, right behind the valve cover, there is a Y in the harness and part of it was rubbing on the 90 degree lip on the firewall. It was pretty obvious and was all the way through the tape. I removed all the surrounding insulation and inspected the wires. There was no obvious damage to any of the wires or any exposed copper. So I carefully re-taped the harness and used multiple wire ties to secure the harness well below and away from firewall and all of the aforementioned problems are gone. The Jeep has driven with absolutely no hiccups for 3 weeks now. Thank you.

I have a potentially important update for random stalling/dying threads. You were right on the money with the rubbing wire. To recap, my 2001 XJ was doing strange things. If I stopped somewhere when after going on the freeway, it would not start until it cooled off. Putting the Jeep in reverse when at operating temp would kill it. Turning right and hitting a bump would kill it.

So, I finally got around to checking the wiring harness, and sure enough, right behind the valve cover, there is a Y in the harness and part of it was rubbing on the 90 degree lip on the firewall. It was pretty obvious and was all the way through the tape. I removed all the surrounding insulation and inspected the wires. There was no obvious damage to any of the wires or any exposed copper. So I carefully re-taped the harness and used multiple wire ties to secure the harness well below and away from firewall and all of the aforementioned problems are gone. The Jeep has driven with absolutely no hiccups for 3 weeks now. Thank you.

Glad you got it figured out!

Back