• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AMC V-8 conversion

OlyWaXJ said:
The AMC V8 has a high nickle content making it a VERY good block,and the BS is that it takes 2/3's more to build a AMC over a chev.

OlyWa

yes great block.

Bet you sucked at work ploblems in math? "only the SBC will do it for about 1/3 less $" does not = 2/3rd more.

Yeah whatever dude I do suck at math...you have a fawking problem with that?

You are like every other SBC guy your ignorant of what a AMC can do.Research this article http://www.javelinamx.com/javhome/articles/hr0698-1.jpg it shows how to build a 500+ HP 401 on PUMP gas.Well 525HP and 508lb-ft of torque.Thats all for a a whopping $4000.

Sorry to hijack I just get tired of the BS the SBC guys spew.

OlyWa

OlyWaXJ said:
Yeah whatever dude I do suck at math...you have a fawking problem with that?

You are like every other SBC guy your ignorant of what a AMC can do.Research this article http://www.javelinamx.com/javhome/articles/hr0698-1.jpg it shows how to build a 500+ HP 401 on PUMP gas.Well 525HP and 508lb-ft of torque.Thats all for a a whopping $4000.

Sorry to hijack I just get tired of the BS the SBC guys spew.

OlyWa

Ok so I will not let it end I know...

But dude your article is from 1998 and the build was in 1997, 10 yrs ago! Tell me where you find a 800CFM DP and a new rebuit kit for 150$? Cause I will buy a creat of them if you can... and thats just one item he quotes for a unbelievable price.

Just admite it! SBC out does AMC motors 10 to one! Thats why you see so many at the strip. Oh wait they all dont know that if they got the AMC 401 they would win more races, and all the desert racers would have more reliable and better engines.. right?

Ok well again back on this threads topic. :hang:

Looking at an old dyno graph here- 355 lb/ft at the wheels. My last buildup didn't flow a lot of air, so not much hp, but the tq is pretty nice!

Yes, the AMC will cost more money, and probably won't make the same power per dollar as an SBC. We shoulder the burden and keep on. :)

ROBERTK said:
Dude your on crack :roflmao:

First you say if your not doing major inclines, then go on to say that if its for a "serious rock crawler" its superior. I dont know what kinda Serious rock crawler you think you've seen, but if its not seeing 30-45deg angles then its not serious. And if it is seeing those angles then Even with off road floats, Jet Tubes and the such, your still going to get fuel starvation.

I see it every time I see a toy or CJ thats carb. out at a local event (Truckhaven). The crevases just kill'em with the angles and thats just sand and hard dirt.

Carb Sucks! I would take a 4cyl FI over a 360 carb motor any day! Now if you ahve the $ and means to move from carb to propane or FI then its a different story.

And as for "torque from an AMC V8 is far superior to any other SB V8" again your smoking crack! If you want to compare. Show me a reliabe Mediocore build in a AMC 401 that gets 420ft/lbs on 87oct or a streetable build with over 500ft/lbs on mild race gas? You can get that with a SBC all day! Torque is mostly influenced by Rod length and stroke, both of which you can match between the SBC and a full (true) race build say 430 AMC.

So to say superior is a joke. Both can be built to obtain the same type of numbers, only the SBC will do it for about 1/3 less $. And last longer typically due to more reserch and devel. being done on them and the related go fast parts that people put on them, in the aftermarket arena.

You ever weighed a 360? Its a PIG!

Nothing against a nice 360. But I will say I am a bit bias seeing as we just pulled a mild RV built 360 from a 78CJ and currently have a complete ramjet 350 from GM performance parts on order to replace it.
If you read what I read I said that AMC's have good low end torque and if you match that with propane you would be unstopable. Not once did I say anything about rockcrawlin' with a carb I know it sucks. So for you to bring up stuff about floats and jets just shows youre ignorance and inability to understand the english language... go back to grade 2 and learn how to finish reading something, stop, think, and then write a response. If you would have went to the got propane website you would have seen that propane is not that far out of reach, budget wise. Unless you are trying to be a baller on a budget. And as far as Small block chevy's being cheaper that an AMC V8, you are right you can build a SBC for less. I could have bought my wife a Cubic zirchon instead of a diamond but I did not. Some things are just worth the extra money!!! If you are not going to be helpfull turn youre computer off and go worrk on youre Small Block Chevy..... They always need work

OlyWaXJ said:
No it's not an AMC 390,it's an IH 390.Two totally diffrent motors.IH did put the 401 in some trucks but never the 390.

Oh and on the chev/AMC debate did small block chev's come with forged cranks and rods like the 401 does? The AMC V8 has a high nickle content making it a VERY good block,and the BS is that it takes 2/3's more to build a AMC over a chev.

OlyWa
Thanks clearing that up, I have pulled 401's out of IH trucks before and I Asumed that the 390 might have also been used. Next time I'll check first. BTW its nice to have support from felow AMC enthusiest.

ROBERTK said:
Ok so I will not let it end I know...

But dude your article is from 1998 and the build was in 1997, 10 yrs ago! Tell me where you find a 800CFM DP and a new rebuit kit for 150$? Cause I will buy a creat of them if you can... and thats just one item he quotes for a unbelievable price.

Just admite it! SBC out does AMC motors 10 to one! Thats why you see so many at the strip. Oh wait they all dont know that if they got the AMC 401 they would win more races, and all the desert racers would have more reliable and better engines.. right?

Ok well again back on this threads topic. :hang:

Sorry but you are once again showing your ignorance towards the AMC.The prices in that article have not changed that much over time.The hardest parts to find are the pistons(sealed power/federal mogul)...they have gone up from $425 to $509 and are in limited supply.You can get others but they run in the $700-800 range(10.5-13.5 compression range).

The aftermarket has grown since the demise of AMC.There are a couple company's that make aluminum heads and there is alot more aftermarket support.

Also if you read the parts list it states the carb is USED with rebuild kit.

You see more chevs at the drag strip due to the fact that chev is more popular.You dont find 401's in the junk yard like you do SBC's.

Back on topic,the hard part is the exhaust on the pass side.I'd like to see some pic's of those that have done this swap.Also like to know if anybody has found a cast exhaust that works.

OlyWa

RobertK for the weight issue. the AMC comes in around 540 and a SBC around 535. so we are not talking a big difference.

Boghog1 said:
RobertK for the weight issue. the AMC comes in around 540 and a SBC around 535. so we are not talking a big difference.

your a little high on the SBC and low on the AMC. Its common knowledge that the high nickle content on the AMC block (the big pro to the AMC) makes it noticably heavier block. mixed with the fact that anyone building a SBC would be nuts not to just spend the 900$ on a pair of good complete alum heads and you have numbers that are not on par with your posting.

Last edited:
http://www.bacomatic.org/~dw/txt/engfyi.htm

When you compare a late model thin walled GM to an early AMC yes the difference becomes more pronounced. but if we look at the pre 87 blocks there is minimal weight difference.

Back