• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Altimeter on dash?

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-NEXTAR-Q3-S...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:2|294:50

This is the GPS that I got while I worked at Academy Sports and Outdoors. Might be a little behind on the POIs but I dont really use that function. Mine links up to 85%+ of the sattelites most the time. For the money it is great. Its also like running windows where you can do more vs a Mac like my roommates' Garmin is like (also a car unit). He has nothing but a map and I have all the extra goodies like alt, lat/long. etc.

Mine cost $40 new since we did sell the Garmins and these weren't the big seller and they got marked way down. (I'm glad I was behind the counter that day doing inventory and making new price labels.) Anyhow, best investment for my vehicle I've made in a long time. Not to flashy and not too pricey. If this cost $100 vs. the $50 the one function alt does, I would choose this personally. Plus some of the others on ebay are a little cheaper.

--Alex

An altimeter only reads air pressure, so how do you adjust your altimeter each day? Just adjust it to read the proper height from a known position?

Yup
DrMoab said:
Depends on the GPS. For instance. With a Garmin 60CSX it has a barometer style Alt but you can turn it off and use triangulation from satellites for elevation. I do this on mine as it seems to be more accurate. I believe even the cheepo units will do this.

Which one is more accurate depends on a few things. If you have poor satellite geometry, the barometer may be more accurate. If you have large fluctuations in air pressure, the GPS may be more accurate. For the informal use that we are using our GPSr either method is more than adequate.

Back