• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator questions

jtroski

NAXJA Forum User
went off roading the outher day and apparently the mud and water killed my alternator, could it possibly be cleaned out and saved?
if not i have a 94' xj would anything from 91' and up work if i got one from a junk yard?

Start it.
Put on eye protection.
Crawl under while its running....make sure it ain't going anywhere genius. :D
SMACK the back on the alt in the center, smartly with a hammer.
The mud will exit the cooling fins at a decent velocity.

The alt should now be charging.

If it is the bearing that went....just replace it.

Rev

Take it off and give it a good bath with the garden hose.(ie: clean, fresh water) I washed mine out and it made a world of difference. That was about 2 years ago, it's still going strong. I guess you really don't have to take it off to wash it out good, yo ucould do it with it on the Jeep.
Of course if the bearigs are toast, it won't help much.

Oh,
Welcome to NAXJA!

Hale

I've shot as little wd 40 in the winding before to help displace the incoming water. I don't do mud for that reason anymore. Waters no problem. That just isn't the best place for an altenator.

dont use wd40. in the long run it collects more dirt than it can ever displace, clean it with clean water and if you are concernd about the h2o spray some electrical contact cleaner on it

Spray with clean water with nothing in it! You can use your hose, but don't add anything (being able to shoot a stream of RO filtered or distilled water would be better - a Super Soaker can help you here.)

Flush with either elecrtical contact cleaner or good brake cleaner. Please, for the love of Gawd and all that's holy - do not RPT not use WD-40! It is not a contact cleaner, and leaves a film on parts ("WD" stands for "Water Displacer" - that's what it's for. It's good for preserving metal that you're storing and for helping to remove labels - but that's about it. One can of WD usually lasts me five years or so...)

Flush again with clean water. You can smack the thing about if you need to do so to dislodge anything in there. The front (drive end) bearing should be a sealed assembly, I'm not sure about the rear. Some are open.

If you are so inclined, you can just remove the thing, split the case, then flush out the bearings and the brush holders - then re-assemble. Some light moly grease if the rear bearing is open will help, and the brushes can be touched up with 600 or 800 grit crocus or emery if you need to. Nothing coarser - you're just cleaning up, not removing material.

I use really hot water, seems to clean better and evaporates fast. I spray it in there with a solvent gun. Then blow it out with air.

Back