• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alright, time to ask questions.

88manche

NAXJA Forum User
So as my hands are blending in with my black keyboard, And I'm cursing about Jeeps fetish with inconvenlenly(SP? its 3:30AM...) placed bolts, I think its time to ask some questions.

I have a 1985 XJ with a 2.5 and an AX-5. There is a bolt smack-dab in the middle, right at the top of the bellhousing. I know its not the same thing as a 4.0, but i know there are some inconvienlently(SP again?) placed bolts with those too. this is one of the last bolts i have to take out to replace my clutch. and its really p!ssing me off. I have my trans barely being supported by anything, letting it hang down as much as possile, and nothings binding it up from dropping down further.

How do you guys get to the bolts on the top of the bellhousing? Cut a hole in the firewall? un do the engine mounts and let it droop even further? lemmie hear some opinions of what i should do.

Thanks in advance.

I am so confused right now... maybe because im so tired, but who knows.

so if i got this straight, from the rear, theres the TC, the trans, bellhousing then engine? and the clutch is in the bellhousing, so i'd still have to take the bellhousing off? Bear with me, this is my first encounter with doing anything with transmission stuff of any kind.

85xj4dr said:
I am so confused right now... maybe because im so tired, but who knows.

so if i got this straight, from the rear, theres the TC, the trans, bellhousing then engine? and the clutch is in the bellhousing, so i'd still have to take the bellhousing off? Bear with me, this is my first encounter with doing anything with transmission stuff of any kind.

Yeah, you got it right. The trans is bolted to the bellhousing then the engine. There should be (I am guessing) 4 bellhousing-to-trans bolts 2 on each side.

85xj4dr said:
Thats always fun. I have an 84 f150 auto with a buncha teeth missing off the ring gear on the flexplate that i have to do right after this.

Ouch. Its not that big a deal to do, you just need to take the trans off :flamemad:!

Back