• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alloy USA Chromoly Axle Kit for Dana 44

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
Alloy USA makes an D44 axle kit listed for the 97-06 Jeep TJ applications, p/n 12135. I called Alloy USA tech support to ask if these axles would work in the older factory XJ/MJ D44s as I have a bent axle in my 89 MJ D44. The Tech Support guy was not the most knowledgeable person I've ever talked to, but he did furnish the axle lengths for the kit (29-1/4" Left; 29-3/4" Right) and they have the 30 spline count which is correct for my 89 D44. So, the question is before I spring for the kit, any reason it will not for me? Thanks all, Don

The TJ and XJ D44 takes the same shafts. They are the same Set10 bearings and seal, 30 spline, but the bearing retainer plates are different. You'll want to swap on your XJ drum plates. If you order from Northridge (Dave is a great guy) they don't press on the bearings for that reason.

http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=ALLOYUSA-DANA44
http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=TEN-D44R

Thanks Gaius. No worries about using the XJ/MJ bearing retainer plates since I have a Teraflex Explorer disk brake kit installed using their preload spacers.

So the Tera brakes use a ring spacer butted up against the retainer plate? I was wondering how the XJ44 allowed for disc brakes. My C8.25 accepted the ZJ plates.

BTW, I've been running the Alloy USA shafts for several years, but this was back when Ron owned it and he sold it. I would recommend the 10Factory shafts (Ron's new company) or Superior before the new Alloy USA.

So the Tera brakes use a ring spacer butted up against the retainer plate? I was wondering how the XJ44 allowed for disc brakes. My C8.25 accepted the ZJ plates.

Correct. I used the Tera disk brake kit for a few years w. a Dana 35 and a Hesco stroker in my MJ; they didn't mix. After two snapped axles and lots of searching, I finally found an MJ D44 locally, and all I needed to swap the Tera kit over was the spacers. Unfortunately the left MJ D44 axle was over specs on runout, thus my question on replacement axles.

BTW, I've been running the Alloy USA shafts for several years, but this was back when Ron owned it and he sold it. I would recommend the 10Factory shafts (Ron's new company) or Superior before the new Alloy USA.

Have emailed Ron in the past, but didn't know he was with 10Factory until recently. Thanks for the advice.

Back