• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alignment numbers

grainofsalt

NAXJA Forum User
I just had the XJ aligned and thought that I would ask around if the numbers are in the right range. It drives fine, But would it help if the LCAs were longer? They are set at 16 1/8"
It has 3 5/8" lift front and 3 3/4" rear.
Castor is 5.82*
Camber is -0.05* left and -0.19* right
Toe is 0.05* left, -0.03* right and 0.02* combined.

If it drives fine and the tires show no unusual wear, it's fine.

Pinion angle is more important than caster angle, and lifted XJ's with larger tires need more toe-in than stock XJ's. The other numbers can't be changed unless you install offset balljoints.

What is it you think needs changing ?

Is your caster the same on each side? Should have a bit more on the right/less on the left to compensate for road crown, usually .5 deg more on right side/less on the left, but since you have a minimal camber lead, I'd say .8 more on the left/less on the right. As it sits right now it looks okay, but I would have given it more toe-in if it was me, probably .05"/side, total .10". As stated above camber/caster is not adjustable from the factory, you would need balljoint bushings, so if it drives fine, don't worry about it.

Thanks Tim, I probably had been reading one too many threads on long/mid arms...

Largefarva, You are correct it's 5.82 on the left and 5.62 for the right side. Would extending the right LCA be better here?

Funny part of the alignment repot is that it started with 5.71 left and 5.51 right, And I know that they did not touch the LCAs.

I don't recommending setting any vehicle up just for "Crowned Roads" as crowning changes with the road grade.

Each LCA should be the same length, as should the UCAs. It is more important that the unit not dog/track, the pinion angle be reasonable, and that the toe in is correct.

-Ron

Thanks Tim, I probably had been reading one too many threads on long/mid arms...

Largefarva, You are correct it's 5.82 on the left and 5.62 for the right side. Would extending the right LCA be better here?

Funny part of the alignment repot is that it started with 5.71 left and 5.51 right, And I know that they did not touch the LCAs.

The numbers will change a bit during the alignment, even if there were no adjustments, you also don't adjust caster on a solid-axle vehicle by changing/adjusting control arms. The only way to adjust properly is by adding bushings to the ball joints-this is a bit of work though.
Can I ask why you're so concerned about the alignment numbers? Does it drive well?

The numbers will change a bit during the alignment, even if there were no adjustments, you also don't adjust caster on a solid-axle vehicle by changing/adjusting control arms. The only way to adjust properly is by adding bushings to the ball joints-this is a bit of work though.
Can I ask why you're so concerned about the alignment numbers? Does it drive well?

I had a 3 year alignment package, and it's time is up, so I wanted to have the XJ be setup correctly until I need to get another alignment.

Thanks All!

I have not had my 2000 aligned ever, and it has 130,000 miles. The toe-in is good, it tracks pretty straight for a lifted 4x4, and the tires wear evenly.

Back