• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ALIGNMENT AFTER LIFT-VIBES

bayhunter

NAXJA Forum User
I recently put a 2" RUSTYS lift w/ front coils on my 99XJ. I cured low speed vibes w/ T-CASE DROP. I STILL HAVE AN UNBALANCED TIRE SHIMMY IN THE FRONT END FROM 50 - 70 MPH. Tires are balanced.(tried 2 sets).Took out front drive shaft ( no help). When my friend installed lift he did not drop TRACK BAR bolt on axle as per instructions. I had alignment done at FIRESTONE and went back today to check specs. They set CASTER @ 5.3 * and RUSTYS say 7* caster. Could track bar or alignment be my problem?

Well you dont drop the track bar bolt by the axle mount. Maybe you ment re drill it to recenter the axle but that wouldn't cause vibes with only 2" lift. I would check the condition of the rear driveshaft ujoints and play in the shaft.

jack up one front wheel at a time, and put your hands on the tire at 9, and 3 o'clock, shake. is there movement? there shouldnt be much. its pretty obvious when the unit bearings are bad, it'll wobble. if you put your hands at 12 and 6, and do the same test, you can check for slop in the ball joints.

O.K. I jacked each side and checked for movement. There didnt seem to be any. I had a friend turn wheel l to r and everything looks tight . when you say a sign of a bad hub bearing is wobble , do you mean while driving or when checking. I STILL HAVE WOBBLE IN THE FRONT FROM 55- TO 70 MPH. Is there any chance it could my alignment specs i have in the first post of this thread?

i meant wobble with the tire jacked up. any wear will be worse with pressure off it, allowing it to easily show up.

how much toe-in are you running? do you have adjustable control arms? (doubt it, on a 2" lift, and it usually doesnt matter)

i know its been said that you need a sye with pretty much any life on the late models, maybe the t-case drop isnt enough? hopefully a late model driveline expert will chime in. i prefer the renixx's

Thanks I talked one tech at FIRESTONE and he said he could do it . He said he needs not to enter vehicle make. I dont have the tools to do it.

Back