• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alaska Off Road Warriors

from the factory, tie rod is in the back, along with the steering stabilizer. drag link and track bar are in front. lots of people move the steering stabilizer up front. its the same as my discovery.

This was such a good idea for a show, but IMO it was poorly executed. I would have much preferred if it was done more like a group expedition documentary and less like a TV drama competition. Oh well, still fun to watch wheelin on TV.

Say what you will about the Leigh brothers and their appearance and supposition about their use of high powered narcotics, but I thought they played the game fair and were about trying to prove to themselves that they could conquer the challenge. I liked them and thought that they did admirably with an underpowered and inadequately set up truck.

Rover - all I can say about him is that he's a butthole. There was no reason to ram into War Wagon. He shouldn't have been crowding him on the obstacles in the first place.

SuperJeep - kind of sorry to see them win. I though they were dirty, especially Rich and it pained me to see their truck. Plastic windows you couldn't see through, and it looked like it was bent in the middle and high on both ends, like a banana.

I thought that Pete and Shay, as well as Bill and Butch, played fair also. Pete dabbled in poor decision making, but usually didn't. I'd have liked to see Bill and Butch pull out the win.

Unfortunately I don't see this show coming back for another season. While it was a little hokey, at least we saw real off-roading on TV, unlike when the Top Gear guys try to go off the pavement - or one of those goofy shows featuring half ton Chevy and Ford pick ups on tractor tires at a man-made mud bog while fat chicks in tiny bikinis wave Bud Light cans around and yell "Whooooo."

Two final comments - 1) I wasn't all that taken with the competiveness of the event. You knew after show 3 that it was a 2 truck race. The Leigh brothers were like 20 hours out of first by the start of leg 15! 2) The rocky field that people were being spotted through didn't look all that tough. We have harder rock gardens in the SEC!

Last edited:
i guess it was ok, but in the end it looked like the producers invited SuperJeep to Alaska and then walked into a bar and waved $100K cash around until they got enough takers. SJ seemed like the only one loaded down with parts/tools/gear for a trans-alaska expedition. the brothers seemed like they just grabbed an extra carton of smokes and hit the trail.
i'm sure the show will be back with different teams which will most likely include something "purpose-built"... it was nice to not have that this time around.

Back