• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aisin tranny After 50ft drive, it just stopped

gman

NAXJA Forum User
After 3 weekends of work on my 1990 xj with an Aisin transmission, we finally got it up today, if shifted well and drove about 50 feet, from the work area. We then cleaned up our work material, and then proceeded to test drive this vehicle. When I returned to the XJ 4.0 to embark on a test drive, it refused to move. It is shifting, but when I put it in reverse I am only hearing a humming sound, the reverse lights do come on, but it is not taking forward or reverse gears. It just shifts but does not move the vehicle.

Please help me What suggestions do you have that I may try, I just installed a new clutch, Pressure Plate, Release Bearing and clutch master cylinder.
:hang:

Two possiblities. I have made both mistakes, so I know they are possible.

(1)The clutch disk is installed backwards. There is a "right" way and a "wrong" way, and if you have the wrong side facing the engine, the clutch will not engage.

(2) Shift linkage not adjusted correctly. If the linkage is incorrectly adjusted, it is possible to have the transmission be in a forward gear AND reverse, simultaneously. If that happens, the vehicle cannot move, and when you try to engage the clutch is just sits there and spins ... until it burns itself and the flywheel up, then you get a horrible screeching sound.

well the first thing that comes to mind is the t/case being in nueutral.. but you said it was driven to its current spot...

In response to Eagles contribution, If the clutch plate is installed with the wrong side facing the engine would we have been able to move it the 50 feet, as I mentioned? Or if the linkage is set up wrong would it have allowed the 50 feet of movement? I wasn't the one who moved it but my friend who did after I encountered the problem attempting the test drive, said it was not moving freely, as he thought it should have, but he didn't mentioned. I did notice however that he was bucking up a bit. As though it was been driven against depressed brakes.

Rev Dan What do you mean about the adjustment of the transfer case. We would appreciate you further elaboration on this, we did encounter a problem in that area, it keeps popping out the rubber underneath, we intended to use it in 2 wd until a later date and then address that. :wave: :wave:

Back