• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

air tank

About how much does it cost to get the 5 gallon filled at a fire extinguesher refill shop?

Last edited:
I know this will sound getto,but what about the co2 tanks used for fountain drink dispensers. I think they would be 10 gallon, and I could borrow one from work if the fittings and such would be an easy swap. Any ideas?

a 9oz CO2 tank cost $1 to be filled at a painball arena i played at back in CA, however everyone there ran compresses air, becuase it DIDNT fluxuate as much with temperature changes. From my painball expierence, i would never put CO@ in tires, because as it heats up it expands a lot more than air does (in teh case of paintball speed it does)

but that is just paintball and im a stupid newb who doesnt know anything

also it costs $40 to get a fireextinguisher filled last time i did it, that was ABC tho... just for reference...

cherokee Wheeler10 said:
so do you all recommend bying the co2 tanks and what size with 33x12.5 tires ?????
I run a 10# co2 tank with OBA as a backup. I had 33s with this tank and it lasts a long time.
junkxj said:
About how much does it cost to get the 5 gallon filled at a fire extinguesher refill shop?
It costs me $11 at a fire extinguisher shop to have my 10# tank filled. and a soda co2 tank will work just the same, but you need to consider getting a handle/regulator guard because if that reg. is knocked off somehow, well.....
BIG problems.

You would never want to use an air tank for CO2 purposes. Due to construction and materials used in the tank. I wouldn't rust an air tank to even fill it to 200psi.

OK guys let's get this all straight. There is a huge difference in air vs. LIQUID CO2 tanks. CO2 tanks have to be rated for much higher pressures. CO2 at room temperature exerts a vapor pressure of about 800 psi. In the back of a jeep in summer, mine has gone as high as about 925 psi. The pressure only varies with temperature. Pressure will not change as long as there is some liquid in the canister. It doesn't matter if it is nearly full or nearly empty.

The only real danger is that of asphyxiation. If the valve gets knocked off and the tank discharges rapidly, the CO2 can displace all of the air (including the oxygen) in the cabin. Liquid CO2 tanks generally don't explode or go shooting around because such a rapid phase change from liquid to solid requires much more heat than would be available. This is in contrast to N2 tanks that are a compressed gas at often as much as 2000 psi or more and do not require the energy of a phase change to release a large ammount of gas. I used to have one of these and got rid of it because of safety concerns as well as the fact that the CO2 tank lasted a lot longer.
CO2 tanks are sized by how many POUNDS of CO2 they hold and not by the gallon. They can also be purchased and filled at welding shops.
I have been filling my tires for the past two years with CO2 and have not had a problem with them. Nor have I noticed any problems with thermal expansion as compared to air.
I have a 20lb tank and it is probably overkill. I also run 36x12.5 tires and can air up and down for several weekends without coming near running out. I know a lot of guys with similar sized and larger tires who are happy with 15# tanks. For me a refill is $15.
Long winded and maybe a little preachy, but I hope this helps.
mattk

Yea....what mattk siad. Just to add a little info paintball cannot be used for comparison because the temperature affects the rate at which co2 boils and its expansion speed. When you pull the trigger the co2 goes through the valving and expands at the rate determined by the temperature. Hotter temps less co2 needed to move the paintball the same speed and vice versa. Do not ever put co2 in an air tank! It will blow while filling it!!!!! The liquid co2 will boil as it enters the air tank and expand so rapidly that it will literaly blow a whole in the side! :wow: As far as them in tires the co2 in the tire is allready expanded as far as it will and will not fluctuate as much as air once in that state.

XJ_ranger said:
a 9oz CO2 tank cost $1 to be filled at a painball arena i played at back in CA, however everyone there ran compresses air, becuase it DIDNT fluxuate as much with temperature changes. From my painball expierence, i would never put CO@ in tires, because as it heats up it expands a lot more than air does (in teh case of paintball speed it does)

but that is just paintball and im a stupid newb who doesnt know anything

also it costs $40 to get a fireextinguisher filled last time i did it, that was ABC tho... just for reference...

thaks for clearing that up, sorry to run bad info through the board. i wasnt siguesting that they put CO2 into airtanks however, i know there is a difference in the tanks, even at the paintball level...

ok how about this....getting a few paintball tanks not the smaller ones like 12oz but a 20ouncer or something like that....or maybe a 2 of em. how would that work, assuming there are fittings that will fit like a regulator and air hose.

EDIT: hmm ok already changed my mind im thinking of just getting one of those 5 or 10 lb bottles from the website i mentioned in an earlier post. i found something that paintball tanks have different fittings, and that a 20oz tank would fill about 2 31s from 10-30psi

Last edited:
i went to a welding supply shop today, i ordered a 10lbs tank, regulator,
20ft of hose, quick release fittings, tank tie down straps, and piece of mind they are all brand new, $222.00.....i'm figureing i'll get a years use, fill up, 10-15 $

No one even mentioned a regulator until the last post. I came onto this thread late. I used a 10 lb tank from beverage factory, got a fixed 125psi regulator from Williams Helium and Balloon supply in Santa Maria, CA for like $35.00. Got a nylon coiled airhose from the Depot. Until I bought teh Powertank mount, I had like $130 invested. I don't have any gauges but you can tell when it's getting empty. It will weigh 10 lbs less.

Dan

Dan Turner said:
No one even mentioned a regulator until the last post. I came onto this thread late. I used a 10 lb tank from beverage factory, got a fixed 125psi regulator from Williams Helium and Balloon supply in Santa Maria, CA for like $35.00. Got a nylon coiled airhose from the Depot. Until I bought teh Powertank mount, I had like $130 invested. I don't have any gauges but you can tell when it's getting empty. It will weigh 10 lbs less.

Dan
hey dan, i went to weld shop to get a less expensive set-up, but you went from a less expensive to 400$ set up. why? is the powertank better for some reason?

XJ NORM said:
hey dan, i went to weld shop to get a less expensive set-up, but you went from a less expensive to 400$ set up. why? is the powertank better for some reason?

I only bought the powertank bracket to mount my home made set up. I got lazy looking so I bought the bracket from Summit Racing. IIRC the bracket was like $50.00.

Sorry for the confusion.

Dan

Back