• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Force

Anybody spend any time at the Air force research lab or go to school at the USAFA? I was thinking about the academy for aerospace engineering but it was too far away amongst other issues.

BBeach said:
Anybody spend any time at the Air force research lab or go to school at the USAFA? I was thinking about the academy for aerospace engineering but it was too far away amongst other issues.

Got a friend at Annapolis doing AE, very, very challenging but he loves it

XTrmXJ said:
Ive been in for 9.5 years now and its the best choice Ive ever made.. I came in as Crew Chief for the F-15 (Mechanic).. As what Scott mentioned, the only countries I havent been to are China and Russia.. It was fun for the first enlistment but as time went on, the job started affecting me physicaly and mentally in my second term.. I got bored and I wasnt learning anything new after I got my 7 level in the carrer in 03, it felt like I was working at an airlines and felt that I didnt have a part in the military conflicts.... I decided to change my job to Flight Engineer on the UH-60 Black hawk for Combat search and Rescue and special ops.. I will be getting the adrenilin rushes that I want, some thing new everyday, Ill be flying, I get my Helicoptor pilots leicence (sp), beable to get a job anywhere when I retire, make an assload of money, traveling even more, ect.. And I will feel that I will be doing my part...

What ever you do PLEASE TALK TO US AND ASK ABOUT THE JOB, WE CAN FILL YOU IN AND DONT ALWAYS TRUST THE RECRUTER.. Also look for a job that you can use in the out side when ever you get out and is worth money
So you came in as an officer? Like I said earlier, the thing that mosts interests me, that the airfoces seems to offer, is aircraft mechanics. I dont want to be stuck working on the same aircrafts day after day, though. I like changes, and love the adrenaline rushes. I know piloting is not a choice for me because of lack of college, but I'd love to fly somehow. What would be some good options for me then in the air force?

K2fender said:
So you came in as an officer? Like I said earlier, the thing that mosts interests me, that the airfoces seems to offer, is aircraft mechanics. I dont want to be stuck working on the same aircrafts day after day, though. I like changes, and love the adrenaline rushes. I know piloting is not a choice for me because of lack of college, but I'd love to fly somehow. What would be some good options for me then in the air force?
Aircrew, like a boom operator. Highly competitive no doubt. If you are very physically fit, maybe be a PJ.

I have been in about 4 years and all I can say in go to college first, if you don't like that then join. If you join with credits they will give you more rank and you will have more choices for a job when they kick you out due to downsizing. Well, they probably will not do that, but don't think that you will not be studying and going to classes. I haven't stopped and all I do is build bombs.

5-90 said:
PJ. Pararescue.

PJs are friggin intense though, and don't you need to have some medical experience? I had a thing about it somwhere around here, its intense stuff, jumping out of planes trying to get to injured pilots and the such.

K2fender said:

Wrong, I came in Enlisted and Im still enlisted, its basically equivalent to the Armys Warrent Officers with out the officer status.. I have to know how to fly the Helo to assist the pilot, fly if hes shot and or take comand like a mutney for unsafe actions.. For Flight school its basicaly the pilot and flight engineer in the same class with an instructor.. How ever I can cross over to the Army ($50,000+ bonus) and become a Warrent officer and be THE full fledge pilot of the Helo, and carry the Officer stat..

K2fender said:
I dont want to be stuck working on the same aircrafts day after day, though. I like changes, and love the adrenaline rushes.

HAHAHAHA THATS A FUNNY ONE THERE... You need to talk to some Crew Chiefs....... Like I was in my old career

XTrmXJ said:
HAHAHAHA THATS A FUNNY ONE THERE... You need to talk to some Crew Chiefs....... Like I was in my old career
Funny how so? Is my impression completely wrong, or is that just something that comes with the territory, or what? Any info you have would really help me. I appreciate it.

88-xj-laredo said:
PJs are friggin intense though, and don't you need to have some medical experience? I had a thing about it somwhere around here, its intense stuff, jumping out of planes trying to get to injured pilots and the such.

While Med experience would help it isn't mandatory. Hell, IF YOU MAKE IT that far the med school will be the easy part...

If you want to do the ground pounder thing but still want to be Air Force talk to the recruiter about Tactical Air Control Party (TACP)
Very high speed just without all the Water BS that PJs have to deal with.
Whatever you do in the Air Force don't go into Security Forces. It sucks. PERIOD.
However, anything else would be pretty sweet. just don't expect to not deploy. Its going to happen. Deployments aren't bad, just have to keep your nose clean,
BUT yeah, deployed sex is a big no-no. The guy who lost a stripe deserved it. Its not like he didn't know what would happen if he got caught.

kubtastic said:
What he said.

oh, and consider Air Traffic control if you like a sweet reenlistment bonus.
My dad was the ATC at Templehoff Field when they started the Berlin Airlift. He was the only guy on, it was all top-secret, and the communications gear wasn't working properly. They had to send an officer out in a Jeep to tell him what to get ready for, because of the security issues. Within about an hour he said everybody in the world was in on the little secret!

They worked solid through the entire mission, 16 hours on 8 hours off. And they kept track of all the planes on chalk-boards. It's probably changed a little since then. ;^)

I've been in 3 and a half years now... I love it. I'm only 22. It was probably the best choice I could have made at the time. I get training, benefits, decent pay, and get to travel. I came in to be intel, but soon gave that job up for a special duty assignment. My experience is a little different than the crew chief guys and the such. But, in my job, I have traveled all over this country, (this world this year) and have seen a lot of what the AF has to offer.

I've been in for 12 now, I put on E6 about a year ago.

The AF has changed ALOT in the last few years, we're taking up slack from the army because they don't have enough people to get the job done anymore. Trans guys running convoy missions, getting killed by IED's were unheard of before Iraq, just not something we did.

If you want a career, get into a support role, (Cilvil Engineering, Services, Finance, Crewchief, etc) If your as tough as nails and want to kill people, look into a gunner on a helo or a 130, para rescue, Combat control, Special ops group, etc. There's all kinds of things you can do in the AF, just depends on you.

Me I'm a Structures troop in CE, currently a locksmith and I love it.

K2fender said:
Like I said earlier, the thing that mosts interests me, that the airfoces seems to offer, is aircraft mechanics. I dont want to be stuck working on the same aircrafts day after day, though. I like changes, and love the adrenaline rushes. I know piloting is not a choice for me because of lack of college, but I'd love to fly somehow. What would be some good options for me then in the air force?

if you like to fly, try boom operator on a flying gas station-refueler- or as a load master- wheels up, feet up.

i dont recall if its an O or E postion but what about a flight engeneer on a C-130? i remember when i did some fly-away security missions out of Al Udeid AB our plane broke and it was up to the flight engineer and some USMC Michanic to fix it in Jacobabad (sp?) Pakistan. (had to shut down a couple engines). C-130's would definetly keep one buisy!

you could also be a Security Forces Raven and fly arround on missions where the rest of the air crew goes off to their cushy hotel room and leaves you and a partner to guard the plane.:puke:

File 05 said:
...Whatever you do in the Air Force don't go into Security Forces. It sucks. PERIOD.
However, anything else would be pretty sweet. just don't expect to not deploy. Its going to happen. Deployments aren't bad, just have to keep your nose clean,...

i take it you know the SP bit from experience or as an augmetee?

at my old base, this was the norm
Deployed 02/04-09/04
Deployed 02/05-09/05
Would have been the same for me in 06 except for a medical condition that resulted in a Medical Discharge with disability.

my buddy just got back from his 4th deployment and he still has two years left on his contract which means 2 more times in the sand box. lets just say he wishes he was in :canada: right now.

Back