• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air Charge Sensor (IAT, MAT) Renix vs HO

The zero ohms reading with the engine running sounds suspect to me. Maybe old_man can shed some light on those readings, he is an EE.

should it have any resistance (ohms) when there is voltage running through it? it seems to me that the sensor itself is working as it should since it tests correct when disconnected from the harness.

IIRC, my meter shows more resistance with the power-engine on, as the power running through the sensor increases the ground wire's apparent resistance. Try switching the probe leads and see if it still reads zero with the engine running.

But long story short, you should not test for ohms on any circuit that has any standing voltage potential.

should it have any resistance (ohms) when there is voltage running through it? it seems to me that the sensor itself is working as it should since it tests correct when disconnected from the harness.

I agree, sounds like the sensor is good. Could the connectors be bad, loose?

i have an 89 so i do not have the c101 connector.
i am also not testing the ground to the TPS as i allready know i have a good ground there. i am testing the MAT/IAT sensor and its wiring. i also have tested the sensor disconnected and found it to read correct specs. but when connected to the harness i get a huge increase in ohms. and the ground side of the harness to the MAT is getting zero ohms, which makes me believe the sensor wire itself is either damaged, or there is a fault inside the ECU. i have also swapped to another ECU with no change. not to say the other ECU is not bad also as it came from a non running parts jeep.

What you may not realize is that just adding a ground to the TPS's ground will not necessarily help the grounds at the CTS, IAT and MAP because there are splices in the harness that could still be bad,and notoriously are.

Whether you have the C101 or not, the splices are nearly identical in the harness.

I have a HO IAT in my 89 renix. Of course you have to change the pigtail. Its been fine, no problems for over a year.

I'm bumping this thread back to the top. Did anyone ever track down a good part number for the Renix MAT/IAT?

For what it's worth I've pulled two off of really beat, high-mileage junkyard XJs - they were totally clogged/gunked beyond belief, but after a good careful cleaning they both measured right in range (according to the LungHD chart) when I tested them on a hot engine with an IR temp gun. I keep one in my trail spares kit and one saved in the garage. If you're ever wandering through a JY and see one, grab it because it's likely still fine.

For what it's worth I've pulled two off of really beat, high-mileage junkyard XJs - they were totally clogged/gunked beyond belief, but after a good careful cleaning they both measured right in range (according to the LungHD chart) when I tested them on a hot engine with an IR temp gun. I keep one in my trail spares kit and one saved in the garage. If you're ever wandering through a JY and see one, grab it because it's likely still fine.

Yup. Clean them up and put them back in.

Yup. Clean them up and put them back in.

Guess I'll go hunting in the junkyard then. My OEM one is deader than Glenn Frey.

Been doing some research on this and it looks to be a discontinued part everywhere I look but I did find some info where someone had already done some research and found all the different company's that made the part and the corresponding part number but it's going to be a hunt to find one. Here is the list.

AIRTEX
5S1004

AUTO-TUNE
PT9599

BIG A
53-1009

BORG WARNER
WT5502

CHRYSLER

ECHLIN
TS5016

FILKO