• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Again.....what is a "REAL XJ"?

kinda like a mother and her child, her progeny will always be her child before and after the sex change. Sure the child is now very different and started out as one thing and is now something totally different, but to her its still her baby.

Good point, but a different anal ogy would have worked better. You see Chris is now Christine. Alot of the same old parts but not quite Chris anymore.

XJguy said:
If leaving the factory as an XJ is enough of a perdigree to justify it as being perpetually an XJ then what if you bought your XJ in 84 and through the years have modified it a little at a time...enter 2003 and the only thing in the vehicle left that is from the original purchase due to the cumulated mods is the VIN tag and the steering column...is it an XJ? To the owner who has been modding it up a little at a time it still feels like an XJ and he has a title that proves it.....kinda like a mother and her child, her progeny will always be her child before and after the sex change. Sure the child is now very different and started out as one thing and is now something totally different, but to her its still her baby.

XJguy

Well,I don't know about your state,but in my state it's illegal to remove a VIN # from a vehicle for *any* purpose. If there's not enough of the XJ left to retain the original VIN #'s mount,hense the the term "nothing left",then it could not be considered an XJ,steering column or not.

Okay well then the whole dash is still there...the VIN tag is riveted to the dash which comes out with just the removal of a few screws.

XJguy

XJguy said:
Okay well then the whole dash is still there...the VIN tag is riveted to the dash which comes out with just the removal of a few screws.

XJguy

well,that goes along the same lines as I mentioned earlier:
"Removal of the VIN #'s from the VEHICLE is illegal"
It's the same no matter how you look at it,whether you remove just the tag or the whole dash with the tag attached to it:D

this is funny stuff!! all i know, this week-end at 'paniment valley days'.....xj'ers kicked some serious butt!! i believe we turned a few heads:) and possibly converted some tj and yj'ers :D another note: i also believe that most jeep owners are some of the finest in helping others with there broken or stuck rigs! GO NAXJA !! whats a REAL XJ ? mine of course:D :D

Georgia Mike said:
well,that goes along the same lines as I mentioned earlier:
"Removal of the VIN #'s from the VEHICLE is illegal"
It's the same no matter how you look at it,whether you remove just the tag or the whole dash with the tag attached to it:D

But officer I didnt remove the VIN from the vehicle I just removed all the pesky sheet metal that was around the VIN! ;)

XJguy

h.curtis said:
I partly agree with you eagle. If you have an I-6 in an XJ you would be making a downgrade by putting in a V-8. The I-6 is a very good light motor that if you really wanted to do mods can make over 400 hp. That is more than enough for a vehicle that only wieghs a little over 3000 lbs. Even totally stock I-6's have tons of torque. A V-8 will not last as long as the I-6 either.

Someone mentioned towing power. I towed over 6000 lbs with my stock I-6 for 1200 miles through VA, WV and PA (pretty hilly states).

Adding a V-8 would just add unnessasary weight IMHO. It is a downgrade from a V-8. If you want a pile of horsepower add a blower to the I-6.

Curt

4.2L and 4.0L AMC block, devoid of all accessories...735 lbs.
small block 5.0, 5.8L, 5.7L " " ... 510 lbs.

The 4.2L/4.0L derivitives are actually quite a chunk-a-steel

So, are you saying he's lying, that that didn't(hasn't) happen(d)?

One good thing about wheeling in a group such as naxja, when you do something cool like the above (in reference to what goat was saying) AT THE VERY LEAST, YOU HAVE WITNESSES!

Karmir, if you did think that goat was bs'ing, you still have a chance to back out now.

I know both the guys he was reffering to, not only did it happen, they do it all the time.

they are some of naxjas most skilled drivers.

Dern good thread if you ask me...well worth the read...and as far as helping others out...it's obvious here that most here do...not all with the same degree of diplomacy...but advice non the less.

I just finished reading the whole post from page 1 to the end. I have to say, even though I haven't met any of you, you guys have helped me out tremendously. From figuring out what mods to do to what parts to buy and what sellers to stay away from. A "Real" XJ? I don't think any XJ is not a "real" XJ. The people make an XJ, or the XJ makes the person. I used to drive a 528 BMW. I was passing a dealer one night and saw an XJ and pulled in and did the sale. My XJ picked me! It took about a month reading the board before I dove into modding and now I can't get enough. My whole outlook on a lot of things changed when I got my XJ, kinda put things into perspective. Now I can't wait to get home and try out a new mod or install a new part. I used to work 60-70 hours a week and most weekends, never saw my wife and the whole 9 yards. Now, I am either home working on my rig or we are drivin it. Hope we can get something together with the Chicagoland XJ'rs.:cheers: Even if it is just a run down to Badlands to do a 1 day run. :)

A great email turned into a great pissing contest,

The one thing I got from the ORIGINAL posting is this: the XJ, MJ, Cherokee, Comanche, Wangy XJ or whatever the hell you call it is one hell of a vehicle, its reliable and tough, it can get you from the mountains to the mall it can have a little 4 banger or someone could have put 426 hemi in it but what makes it real is someone is uses it, preferably off-road and they are proud of it.

A door off my 91' over the weekend (at my house, not on the trail) and I have had to drive my FREE 89' to work this week. Are either of them real XJ's? I probably spend to much time working/drinking/sleeping/chasing girls/reading this forum to take them wheelin’ as much as I should, although I did spend all last Saturday bouncing around southern Oregon trails after a driving 350+ miles up from the Bay Area and then drove home.

Do you have a real XJ?

I think that should be answered with another questions (extraneous personal or mechanical circumstances aside)

- Has your Jeep been off the pavement in the last 30 days? How about 60?
- Have you put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive in the last 30/60 days? (part 2 do you have to look in the owner manual to put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive)
- Do you check out other XJ’s when you see them?
- Do you spend lost of time trying to plotting/saving for/building your XJ so its even more ‘yours’

If the answers are mostly yes you probably own a ‘real’ XJ, if the answers are mostly no you probably just drive a Jeep and you’re probably pretty happy with that too.

BTW I think EAGLE has the market cornered on XJ knowledge and if we let him have the MJ preservation thing too he's likely take over the world, I am all about mutany boys

MPV

Multi-Purpose Vehicle is the designation Jeep gave the XJ, and that's what I appreciate about it. My "real" XJ has to be a daily driver, a car that has to get one to work in safety and comfort, but that's only what is important for me. Mine has driven myself or my wife to work everyday that it has run for the last 10 years, it has mostly run, and I fully intend to drive it to work for another 10 years, a great excuse for driveline mods. :) And, yeah, I am a trailrider, that's what I use 4wd for, to get places I couldn't get to in a car. Just a seriously lapsed backpacker. :)

I think Yellaheap said it well, caught me by surprise:
In the spirit of Naxja, every single Cherokee owned by those that are visitors and members here is a Real XJ - because we're all here focusing our attention and efforts on our beloved vehicles.
In the spirit of four wheeling, this is where it all gets convoluted. All of us here have chosen the XJ as the core of "what gets us there". The rest of the ideas and opinions regarding what's bolted or welded to the XJ really comes from where the owner wants to take his/her XJ. "Purpose built" is the phrase that's been used here fairly frequently.

As far as NAXJA is concerned, if someone considers their beast a XJ, then that's good enough for me.

Fred

budha808 said:
1- Has your Jeep been off the pavement in the last 30 days? How about 60?
2 Have you put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive in the last 30/60 days? (part 2 do you have to look in the owner manual to put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive)
3 Do you check out other XJ’s when you see them?
4 Do you spend lost of time trying to plotting/saving for/building your XJ so its even more ‘yours’

1. Yes! Sadly though, not since I left Moab.
2 (Part 1). Yes, see above.
2 (Part 2). If you have to look in an owners manual to flip an XJ into 4 you've got a problem, it's too easy!

3. Oh man, I check out XJ's that I KNOW are stock! I also check out (in this order of priorities) Any rare or old Jeep, SJ's, CJ's, TJ's, YJ's

4. I plot a lot, but I'm not so good at saving, damn maintenance keeps cutting into modify fund (most recently was that head gasket issue...)

Sequoia

budha808 said:

- Has your Jeep been off the pavement in the last 30 days? How about 60?
- Have you put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive in the last 30/60 days? (part 2 do you have to look in the owner manual to put your Jeep into 4 wheel drive)
- Do you check out other XJ’s when you see them?
- Do you spend lost of time trying to plotting/saving for/building your XJ so its even more ‘yours’
I'll play, even though it's an MJ.
1- I think my 60 days is just barely going to lapse before the next run I go on, Saturday after next.
2- Not really, and NO.
3- XJ, MJ, CJ, Toy pickup:anon: , just about anything
4- I try. My new wheels are actually sitting in my bedroom right now, in a nice stack by my door.

Phil Weeks said:

4- I try. My new wheels are actually sitting in my bedroom right now, in a nice stack by my door.

Damn, and I thought I was bad! I've got five new black 'crawlers in my garage, I ran out of money for rubber for 'em, but at least they're not in my bedroom!

Back