• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice-Front end lower after coil/leaf replacement

pics of front coils. anything look suspect to you guys?
20160430_193404_zps8lf3iqlc.jpg

I didn't see anyone mention that the coil doesn't look like it's being held down by the tab on the perch. May be shifting there causing the banging too. I'd check all the mounting boltsfor steering and suspension for looseness as well and grease what you can.

Good eye. A loose coil spring makes usually makes a single knock or clank type sound when it moves, totally different than a heavy thump/smash noise bottoming out the front suspension makes

The smashed bump stop snubber still makes me suspect incorrect coil springs, and possibly worn out or incorrect shocks.

Stock suspension measures 17.5" front and 17.0 rear, you may want a coil spacer to level the front, or wait and see if the leaf springs settle any.

coils and shocks were new so more than likely the coils suck?
why would Quadratec sell these as OEM replacement?

so need to get better coils, secure them properly, new/better bump stops and see if thats the issue....

it looks like you've already got stacked factory isolators.

those coils are either far too light a spring rate, or simply incorrect.
Have you called quadratec to see what they'll do for you?

Whereabouts in OH are you? No need to pay a shop to swap them. You can shoehorn a stock spring in without even using compressors.
I think I tossed the coil spring spacers I had, but maybe not. I'll have to dig around in the garage.

a>

This is what Quadratec is showing me....a missing piece?
Is this just the retainer clip that someone mentioned that might cause a shifting and clicking of the coil but not the slamming that i'm getting?

Really interested in the result of this discussion. I have a "slamming" noise coming from seems like right under my shifter when going over potholes/bumps/dips as well. I have replaced my front springs with stock HD moogs springs and my rear leafs with Dorman HD stock leafs, and shocks with bilsteins. FYI, the rear was initially higher, but has settled to about level over the last year. I am very happy with all purchases. Note, having the rear higher is not such a bad thing, having the front higher is a VERY bad thing, in terms of mileage. There are lot of articles/research on this, even 1" higher in back is hugely better than 1" higher in front. In any case, please let me know what you find out about that clunk. It's driving me nuts. GL

1991 5speed sport 4.0HO

i understand that there might be movement of the coil due to it missing the retainer clip and i will correct this but.....

how would this prevent the compression of the coil where it fully collapses and slams the bump stop down fully even slowly going over a small curve.

these coil springs have got to be incorrect no?
im trying to convey this info to Quadratec and theyre not having it

If it really is the bump stop hitting causing the noise, it won't, and like everyone else said, the coil is way too soft. I was posing an alternative to the issue from an observation I noted in the picture. If you get noise going over bumps and the coil is too soft and not retained to the perch, it may hang long enough to make a gap and when the axle comes back up, it will be a metal on metal bang.

looked up some info on the coils i bought.
seems they are "light duty" / 17". i just trusted that quadratec would hook me up with a decent replacement.

going to get a heavy duty and try that out.

my local 4 wheel drive parts store says to go with a HD Crown coil (moog wasnt available?) Techs there said they were amazed at the sag in the coil and say it could even be a mis-boxed part. basically riding on the bump stops.

does anyone know what the codes GJ, ZGV, and ZVJ mean?
they are listed in their catalog but no one seemed to know what they are.

. I have a "slamming" noise coming from seems like right under my shifter when going over potholes/bumps/dips as well. ......

It is doubtful that this is suspension related, unless everything is totally worn out and failed. A more logical assumption would be worn out motor and transmission mounts, and/or exhaust system hangers allowing contact with the cross member or the unibody.

Tim
The brand new bump stops are crushed, i'm no mechanic (i brew beer for a living :) ) but wouldnt that indicate the coil "bottoming out"?
the front hub to fender height is almost 1.5" smaller than the rear.

I would mark down any money sent to Quadratec as tuition in your Jeep education, and move on. Anything they have is available elsewhere for less. You should always know more about what you want, or what you need, than the guy on the phone, or the guy behind the counter. While friendly and helpful, most have no actual knowledge or experience with the XJ. If you look, there is plenty of knowledge and experience available here.

There is only one way to crush a bump stop. I VERY strongly suggest you buy some MOOG CC-782 coil springs that are equivalent to the original stock Up-Country coils springs, and some good quality shock absorbers such as DoetschTech DT-3000, or BDS shocks. Avoid any shocks with Hydro or Nitro in their name.

The two or three letter codes are the build sheet part numbers from the factory.

Coil Springs with a G in the letter code are UpCountry package +1” taller than stock springs, with a slightly higher spring rate as well.

ZGK or GK UpCountry +1” coil - Jeep P/N 52001793
ZGL or GL UpCountry +1” coil - Jeep P/N 52001794
FF FH FJ etc., are stock size and rate coil springs - Jeep P/N 52088102

Last edited:
it was like 16.5" in the front and 18.25" in rear.
i hit just the smallest pothole and the front slams hard.
granted i need to replace the bump stops but im afraid they are just gonna get smashed up again.
do the pics look ok to everyone? nothing missing like a spacer?

could the shocks be shot? how would i check that?

There is your problem. Stock is supposed to be 17.5" in the front.
Looking at the pic of the crumbled bumpstops, the gap between an un-crumbled bumpstop and the spring base looks awfully small.
Stock front coils seem to hold their lift, unlike the leaf springs. If you still have your old coils, put them back in and the slamming sound will magically disappear.

Back