• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

advice for 4x4/dirt bike trip?

whatevah

It's Yellah!
A buddy of mine wants to do a combination 4x4 and dual-sport trip late this summer in the Rockies. I've already been planning on doing my own trip in the Grand Junction-Durango area but only was considering 4x4 trails. Do any of the trail books specify permissions for motorcycles/dirt bikes. The bikes are tagged and street legal.

Also, any recommendations on a place to leave a trailer for a week or two? Nothing special just somewhere we can lock it, and expect to find it when we come back. :)

i know down here in the springs, you can take Old Stage Road up to Mt Baldy and Eagle Rock and such. would be a killer area to play around on with wither bike or jeep and both are aloud and there is almost endless number of trails

Google traildamage check out ouray co go there stay in a koa campground and do lots of day trips ,and bring lots of jet's and a jetting guide for the bike ,

Last edited:
A buddy of mine wants to do a combination 4x4 and dual-sport trip late this summer in the Rockies. I've already been planning on doing my own trip in the Grand Junction-Durango area but only was considering 4x4 trails. Do any of the trail books specify permissions for motorcycles/dirt bikes. The bikes are tagged and street legal.

Also, any recommendations on a place to leave a trailer for a week or two? Nothing special just somewhere we can lock it, and expect to find it when we come back. :)

Pm sent in 3...2....1

Great info so far, thanks guys! Saving everything into the planning file. Thanks for the tip on the Ouray KOA campground, I think most of what we'll do are day trips. At least for the current plan. My buddy and a friend were going to follow the continental divide from the Canadian border to Mexico (basically this: http://www.adventurecycling.org/routes/greatdivide.cfm ) and wanted me to chase/support them in my buddies LJ but I had already been saving vacation time for a CO trip of my own. So it looks like we're combining trips, I'm going to do my Jeep trip and they'll just focus on day trips in the area and store the spare parts and bigger tools in my XJ. I hope we can do most of the same trails but from looking around on the ADV Rider forum there are more trails just for the bikes. Planning to hit Moab one day (at least), can't get that close and not go!

Do you guys think a 200cc bike could handle the climbs with the correct jets? My buddy was going to buy a bigger bike for the original trip but thinks it might handle the day trips in CO.

I think it's a 1996 Suzuki DR200SE.

Back