• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding Stiffeners and going Long Arm, Rock Krawler?

Ive got stiffers on my XJ....and Ive got the RK 3 link.

The kit works just fine. only thing I did was take the spacers supplied in the kit and trim them down 3/16ths (the thickness of the stiffeners)

other than that, I can honestly say the RK 3-link has been the most carefree aftermarket part I have added on my jeep. I bolted it on, and welded the mounts to the frame stiffener about 6 years ago and literally haven't touched it since...not even replaced a bushing, or joint.

I would have one again in a heart beat. No crossmember to deal with, adjustable, and stout.

its been on 37-38 inch tires and its whole life

I had a short conversation with Adam, that's the name that comes to mind anyhow at Clayton's about the lift height issue. My understanding is the reason they recommend 6.5" is because with smaller lifts and smaller tires the upper can come into contact with the floor before the tire hits the inner fender and or bump stop.

So really is a tire size issue rather than lift height issue. As at full compression the upper is going to be in the same place regardless of lift height. Again just my understanding, and I have been known to be dense so if this is not right someone please tell me so. Either way, TNT, RK and Clayton's are all damn good kits.

Outkast said it best. The 'issues' with the Clayton kit are tire size related, or up travel related. At 4.5" I think you'll be fine. Fwiw as soon as I get my axles done I'm installing the Clayton 3 link (with some custom aluminum links) with about a 4.5-5" lift. I'm not the least bit concerned. A friend of mine has like 6.5-7.5" lift and 33's with cut fenders (so lots of up travel) and his has just barely kissed the floor a couple times....

Now, the b. Lee 3 link. It looks ok, but I think you could get a better kit. As far as heim size, don't let people scare ya, all this 1.25 heim stuff is a fad that has spilled over from the ultra 4 guys. I have to laugh my ass off when I hear guys say 7/8" is too small for a Cherokee with a Dana 30 and 33-35" tires. My rock rig is a tj buggy with a v8, stak 2spd, lots and lots of tube, full hydro, d60 front, 14 bolt rear, coil overs on all 4 corners and front and rear 4 link. Guess what, all 16 heims are 7/8's, it's heavy and it gets the shit beat out of it. Never once had an issue.

Ultimately it's up to you.....

I did my install over the weekend of my Clayton kit, with 4.5" of lift and 35" TTC's the upper arm just contacts the transmission hump at the same time the bump stop makes contact. "Clearancing" with a BFH took about two light swings. For what it's worth the upper only has about 1" clearance at ride height but moves up very little because the contact point is near the mount.

Back