• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding inline fuel filter - 2000/01

XJ_4LOW

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all -

I’ve got a ‘96 and a ‘00 XJ. 96 is super easy to change the fuel filter, inline on the subframe near the tank. The only filter I can find on the ‘00 is the one built into the pump assembly in tank. I’m putting in new injectors and would like to add an inline fuel filter to my ‘00 for peace of mind (and hopefully to prolong the life of the new injectors).

Has anyone done this? I was gonna grab a bracket from an older boneyard XJ and use the same filter as my 96, spliced into the line.

IMO adding an inline fuel filter is unnecessary, but would be harmless if done correctly. My 98 has +284,000 miles and the original injectors, the 99 has 194,000 miles and the original injectors, and the 2000 has 139,000 miles and the original injectors. The 98 fuel pump is likely a replacement, because the check valve works.

Isn't their a screen in the fuel pressure regulator that's mounted on top of the.gas tank it only needs changed if you suspect you have water in your gas.

Isn't their a screen in the fuel pressure regulator that's mounted on top of the.gas tank it only needs changed if you suspect you have water in your gas.

I replaced two fuel pumps this past year. I remember the screen being at the bottom of the pump. I replaced the one on my '98. It had about 260K. Was having some issues. I did not check the pressure, just replaced. Seem to help MPG. Also, a new set of plugs. The '00, I was having issues even starting. Bad maintenance before I bought it at 260K.

On option for a filter could be to connect it to the end of the fuel line where it attaches to the fuel rail. You could build a section of line that plugs into the factory hose connection and attaches to the factory connection at the fuel rail. If those are standard fuel injection hose fittings, they can be purchased at places like Summit Racing. Could use -6 AN line and fittings, and then perhaps place the fuel filter in the front grill area where it would be exposed to ambient outside air rather than the hot engine bay. If the fuel system uses a hard line from the pump to the rail, this would be my preferred approach.

Back