• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

adding aux in-line to stock stereo?

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
I have seen quite a few questions regarding ipod docks ect. lately. I use a RF mod with mine and the quality ect. Sucks... anyhow I ran across this thread this weekend

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26860

Did some research over on instructables.com and found some more info, although not enough for my unelectricly inclined mind. Thought I would post this up though and perhaps get some more people in on the conversation seemed like a fun little mod that could be done for pennies and some time. FWIW Ive got a 98 w/tape deck...

i dont understand why people just dont buy an aftermarket head unit.

x2, you can get a head unit with more power than the stock radio and aux inputs, plus mp3 disc ability and in some cases ipod controls for somewhere around 100$ these days. Stock Jeep radios sound like crap, it's worth the money.

Radio Shack sells an adapter that looks like a cassette tape but has a audio cable running out of it.

just clicked the link, is that the XJGuy? I thought he would have cried himself into a padded room by now.

Aftermarket head units scream.... STEAL ME! And with the xj being as secure as tupperware I try to avoid thief temptations.

And some people, like myself, hate the way aftermarket decks look. The XJ isnt a beauty inside but for me a aftermarket deck only amplifies that ugliness.

I know that an aftermarket unit is going to provide numerous advantages. I also enjoy f'ing with everything I own. Thought some other likeminded people might enjoy this link. Also figured that some other cheap bastards on here could use the upgrade on beaters they wish to spend no money on.

hmmmm... I really should look into this. Late model or 96-down? I have both but the only jeep left with an OEM stereo is the 98 (so the OP is lucky)... can work on a mod for the 96-down next time I get a stock stereo somehow.

Also, I had some jackass break into my jeep and steal the quarters out of the e-brake handle recess in my center console. People do that kind of shit. Fortunately they jimmied the lock or something instead of breaking the glass, I only realized when I went to pay a toll and there weren't any quarters there anymore, had to pay with a bill and get a handful of change.

If it isn't red hot or bolted down it will get stolen around here, and if it is, they will pour water on it or get out the bolt cutters.

As I recall from when I gutted my stock stereo in the 96 (to get the connector so I could build an adapter to put my ham radio in the slot instead) the audio signals from the radio and such all go through the volume / fade / balance knobs in one spot via simple ribbon cables, so on 96 down it may be as simple as adding a switched stereo input jack, rewiring a few things, and maybe adding some preamps or attenuators to adjust the signal level properly. Haven't opened a 97+ stereo - yet.

The OP referenced a 98 unit, so I think he's got a late model, but not sure about the rest.

That cc link shows an early model, but the method used is the electrical equivalent to a lincoln locked d30 on 35s. Not really the right way to do things, but you can get away with it... for how long depends on who you ask and the phase of the moon.

Ah, I just looked at the CC thread, didn't catch that in xjwisconsin's post. I'm trying to wrap my head around the early deck "automatically attenuating" a signal that is still audible. First uneducated guess is that it merely feeds the device signal in to the amplifier. Stronger signal wins. Maybe not ideal, but it has some potential, I think. I punched my stock headunit until it finally quit working- on humid days, it would power up and endlessly cycle tuner-cd-cassette every second, which drove me insane when I was driving 400+ miles a week. I didn't even keep it around to dissect, I hated the thing so much.

Last edited:
I'm trying to wrap my head around the early deck "automatically attenuating" a signal that is still audible. First uneducated guess is that it merely feeds the device signal in to the amplifier. Stronger signal wins.

Bingo... it's not very nice to either device providing the signals. Kinda like connecting two amps to a speaker at the same time and when you want to hear one or the other just cranking its volume up till you mostly can't hear the other.

The right way is nearly as easy, just involves a little more work I'm sure. I will see what I can figure out.

kastein, yes, my stereo is out of a 98. looks totaly different than what the posters stereo on cc looks like. Lots more circuit board, his was a 90 under I think.

Yep... the 1.5 DIN 97+ stereos are quite different internally.

As I have absolutely no use for a cassette tape player, I am planning on removing all the tape player internals and using its input to the mixer/select switch. Could put in a separate select switch and keep the tape player working but no real reason to, and this way there might even be enough space inside to mount an ipod dock or something directly.

really isn't there a simpler way? Perhaps not as cheap (I'm all for cheap, but just running it straight into the amp's input is a bit dirty, probably no good in the long term)

You can get a WIRED FM modulator for like $20.

http://www.caraudiodeals.com/pyle-plmd2-p-803.html

I know you say, FM modulators suck the balls.
Well yes, the cheap little ones that just broadcast the FM signal DO suck the balls, but a wired one that disconnects the antenna input and feeds the FM signal straight into the antenna input on the radio does not. My wife's Sirius has been hooked up with a wired FM modulator for years, mostly because I had already put a nice headunit in her car, but it was before the Ipod thing so no aux input.

You tun on the device, the FM adapter cuts the antenna signal so you don't have any interference from terrestrial transmitters and you enjoy the stereo.

That is real nifty. If I wasn't a cheap-ass electrical engineer I would probably buy one...

but I am reasonably certain I can make my method work for under $10 in materials, and have it done before that would arrive on my doorstep if I ordered it right now. I know I can on the 96-down stereos, just not sure if it's harder on 97-up ones yet.

Aftermarket head units scream.... STEAL ME!

No they don't. I have had one in every vehicle I have owned. I have never had one stolen. besides, you can get a head unit so cheap at walmart now that even methheads just go there and buy one! :dunno:

Back