• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adding a slight bend to an exhaust pipe

I had the same problem with my lift shackles, I cut six or seven inches out and rewelded the down turn so it wasn't pointed straight at my leaf bushing.

Thanks guys. I cut the pipe between the shackle and the exhaust hanger, then cut a 90 degree piece from the auto parts store into a downturn next to the skid. Works great. No idea why it seemed so complicated at first.

xj_exhaust_fix.jpg

yeah, that is pretty much what I was envisioning - although could you insert a short piece of straight pipe in there and bring the turndown back closer to stock location? Looking at my vehicle it looks like that is possible but I haven't actually tried it yet.

ah, you know what, I didn't notice that in your pics... from the factory the shackle bolt was inserted from the gas tank side facing out. Would that solve the problem?

It actually will if you put that bolt in first, pull the spring down with your hand with the upper bolt out to clear skid, then bolt the shackle to the "frame." Just replaced my springs on Saturday...

That would work for most, but I installed no-lift shackle relocation brackets which require a nut to be tweezered in behind the bracket next to the frame. I felt like it would be almost impossible to get that upper shackle bolt in by myself with tension on it.

Back