• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Screetch, Squeal

Make that three of us with a recently-screeching belt . . . I too was suspecting the clutch. 'Been there before but 'have this tendency to always suspect the worst/most expensive . . . . unfortunately, 'often correct in that. I'll be checking the tension on mine this evening w/my krikit. Don

I have a similar problem. My Jeep is currently uninsured, and I haven't driven it or used it much since I got it, but I've noticed this.

When I tested the A/C at the dealer, it mad a screeching noise. I flipped it off and then on again, and the squeeling stopped. I drove it home, and then let it sit for a few days before I went out and started it (to move it). I turned the A/C on and there was no squealing. I waited about a week again to try it (to move it to replace a radiator), and the squealing started. I turned it off, and then on again, then the squealing stopped. Not sure what it could be.

i had the bearing in my AC compressor shit on me and basically start eating the clutch. bad squealing at first(only for a few seconds on startup). then it became a rumbling(after a few weeks) while the clutch was being eaten.

i ended up just replacing the compressor with one from a junkyard. the shop tried to get the bearing(which Chryco doesn't sell) from a generic bearing place but they failed.

i have a massive leak from the evaporator (go figure) so I wasn't about to buy a new compressor when my AC system won't work anyway. stupid cheap parts.

Tightening the belt on my '88 took care of the squeal. But, it didn't on my wife's '91 . . . . this is a different story . . . that da*&^(*&ed belt has squealed since shortly after I first installed it. I'm pretty sure it's a Gates. When it first started squealing, I thought for sure it was the alternator . . . the shop thought so too, at first. Then they sprayed belt dressing on it and it stopped . . . I bought a can and used it as the squeal would return every day or two . . . . a mechanic told me that stuff is the worst thing I can use on a belt and he spread a dab of vasoline on the back of the belt and it went away for a week . . . . so, I keep dressing it with vasoline every time is starts squealing again (at least once a week). It is properly tightened and the belt is otherwise in perfect condition.

Now, I'm really tired of my wife telling me it's doing it again and I want to cure it!

Two questions: 1) 'any theories or experience with anything that would remove the glaze that must be built-up on the back of the belt and causing this? (a light sanding, acetone, ?, ?, ?) and, 2) are certain belt brands known for this problem?

Thanks! Don

Don

Back