• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Delete Gone Sideways- Broken Compressor Stud

kshbaja

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ 4.0L

I was hoping to make a quick job of replacing my failing AC compressor with the bypass pulley. One of the 4 compressor bolts sheared about 1/2" above the bracket that also supports the cooling fan.

I'm thinking I need to take the bracket out and drill out this bolt on the bench or maybe search for a new bracket in the JY. I can see 3 bolts holding the bracket into the engine. I'm wondering if there are any more?

I couldn't find anything in the shop manual about removing this bracket. I'm also a bit concerned about breaking one of these bolts which would be a big problem, but I can't see how else to get this sheared bolt out other than drilling it out in place.

Anyways...has anyone removed the bracket that supports the AC compressor and cooling fan from the engine?

Cant visualize what youve got going on, but if you think you can remove the bracket off the engine and work on the bench, do so.

Take pics.

The bracket that the compressor bolts into has 3 visible 9/16" bolts which thread into the engine/cylinder head. I've removed these 3 bolts but the bracket, which also seems integral to the cooling fan, has loosened but isn't coming out. Ugh.. I will try and take a photo.

For the record, there was a 4th bolt/nut at the bottom of the bracket, oriented front to back, that had to come out. This bolt anchored the bottom of the bracket to the engine case. In order to get to the back of the bolt, the cooling fan assembly needs to come off.

Now the fun begins trying to get the sheared bolt out :(

When I bought my first jeep (1998 gc 5.9. Worn the **** out and burnt oil. ) it has 1 bolt holding the compressor on. I added a second one and left it. Worked just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know! I ended up spending $25 to have a machine shop extract the broken bolt. The bypass pulley is installed, just need to install a new belt.

Back