• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC Compressor Recommendations

Heavyopp

NAXJA Forum User
I’ve nursed my AC compressor along for 2 seasons now and it looks like it’s finally time to change it out — clutch is shot, smoking, burning when on — it’s time

Compressor possibly has 235,000 miles on it if its original — the part number is obsolete, replaced with newer — Sanden 4784

I’ve been in contact with Sanden — there is a clutch kit available and in stock Sanden wants $85 plus sales tax plus $22 shipping — I do this I’ll still have that old unknown age compressor and I’ll be into it for almost as much as a compressor on Rock Auto

So I’m asking if there are any compressors on rock auto that are total junk, a waste of time to install — have you had success with any certain replacement brand — I don’t mind spending some money if it’s worth it but if I can get the same performance from a cheaper alternative I’d like to hear about it.

What brand AC compressor have you used and how has it worked out?

Thanks for your input

I have installed and subsequently warrantied out many... many 4 seasons compressors. The running joke is that they won't make it past four seasons before needing replaced.

That being said, I did try out the GPD kit from Rock Auto on my personal Jeep. As far as the kits go I've never heard of any of those brands on RA, but knowing the track record I've had with Four Seasons I was willing to try anything else.

So far everything has been holding out great. I installed that kit in March of 2017 and have been using the AC daily. I'm pretty impressed.

If it smokes only when engaged, it's more likely that your compressor is shot. Does your compressor turn relatively freely with the clutch disengaged?

Check out Jeepair.com and ACKITS.com.

If it is just the clutch, no need to evacuate and recharge system so that's a big plus.

When my original compressor seized, smoking clutch too, I replaced it with a Sanden from ACKITS. That was 12 years ago. Still blows cold.

Smokes when engaged, It’s an electrical burning smell — I'm sure if I leave it on long enough the fuse will blow or the wire will melt down

The clutch is definitely shot

Sanden says I need clutch kit 6711-6210 for the 4784 compressor

They have it — just want me to pay as much for it as a some compressors — just trying to figure the smartest move here

Evacuating the system is no problem — have an AC friend with a vacuum pump and guages — I bought the adapters to make everything work

Are there 2 different style compressors used for 2000 cherokee

Seems to be listings for 709 type and Sd7h15 type compressors — are these physically different

That GDP mentioned above seems to be a 709 where, I beleive the 4784 I’m thinking about replacing is a sd7h15

I used a compressor kit with hoses, expansion valve, and filter dryer from autozone. It was a Sanden compressor. Complete with orings and PAG oil. It works great.

Back