• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AAAARRRGGHHH! Need GOOD Bolt Source

Eagle

Lifetime NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've had it with trying to buy bolts from Lowe's and the auto parts chains.

Trying to restore the '88 MJ, which means reattaching the flares. If anyone has priced those metal stud plates that back up the flares, you know how expensive they can be, so I'm going with Plan 'B' -- drill out the busted studs and thread in new ones.

The studs are 5mm. Nobody has 5mm flange-head bolts. Lowe's doesn't have ANY metric flange-head bolts, or metric flange-head nuts. The parts chains carry them, starting at 6mm. BUT -- in ridiculous quantities. Each stud plate has three studs, and there are three plates per flare, so for the entire vehicle I need 36 bolts and 36 nuts. So far I have cleaned out two Auto Zone stores and two Advance Auto Stores. The nuts come 8 to a package, so by the third store I had that covered. The bolts (20mm length) only come 4 to a package, so I need 9 packages. Out of four stores, I have come up with 5 packages.

This is idiotic. Even my old stand-by, The Nutty Company, doesn't carry metric flange bolts and nuts. Does anyone have a GOOD on-line source for metric fasteners (including flange bolts) in bulk quantities? (Not huge bulk, but by the box rather than two or four bolts in a blister pack.)

I'd try an ACE hardware.

Failing that, you should be able to get them through Fastenal, McMaster-Carr, Grainger, etc.

You got a number for that stuff, we have a nuts and bolts place in town, just fastners store. I have some running around to do for bolts and plastic push bolts for the TJ now that we have started reassembly so I'll be there tomorrow. Will take a copy of your post and see they can make sense of it...usually I walk in and hand them a sample and tell them how many...

I know it's not the same as running down around the corner to pick up something real quick, but I usually get my order the next day.

http://www.mcmaster.com/index.asp

edit: I like the paper catalog better than the web site.

MSC,industrial supply.ships from Harrisburg,Pa,.usually have order in less than 24 hrs.By UPS .May have to buy by the box ,50-100.
mscdirect.com
Wayne

Eagle I get all my hardware from ROGO fateners here in OC NY I have a bolt catalog 500plus pages every thing from aluminum to L9 bolts. If you want something specific I can check the bible I mean book.

Back