• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A starting engine question!

MG_43

NAXJA Forum User
Before I turn the key to turn the engine over, I always let the fuel pump, pump up by letting it pump til it stops and turn the key off and letting it pump up again (usually twice its done) and then I turn the motor over to start it, sometimes it turns over a bunch of times and eventually starts, but if it doesn't start right away (it seems like an excessive amount of turning over), if I turn the key off and try again it fires right up within a couple of turns.
Is this a normal thing? It usually does this after it has been driven, but the first start of the day it always starts right up.
92 4.0 XJ
Thanks in advance.

Usually it's the reverse, the fuel system looses pressure overnite from a bad anti-drainback valve and needs about 10 seconds to repressurize, yours seems to be the reverse. I wonder if you have a leaky injector or more that are flooding the engine after you turn it off. I'd run a can or two of a good fuel system cleaner, seafoam, bg44, Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner or remove the injectors and either replace them or have them cleaned professionaly in a fixture...

Back