• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A question about tire with

chedisme

NAXJA Member
Hey guys

so Im getting 33" BFG MT Km2's

and my question is which width should I get them in

I can get them in 33x10.5 or 33x12.5

the 10.5's are about 100 bucks cheaper over all.
but they are only 1inch wider then my 30's Im currently running.

I like the rocks, but occasionally play in the mud and snow.

I want to go with the wider tire but id rather not spend the extra 100 dollars.

thanks for the advice

im a fan of either width with that height tire

i have never run a 33xnarrowish tire. but have friends who have and aside from a lil' sidewall rolling at lower pressures i hear no complaints

also has less unsprung weight and rolling mass which is always a plus

and they look nice on an xj if you want a narrowish, more stockish lookin clean xj

I run a 10.5 now, after a decade of running a wider tire. Alot of factors influenced my decision, most notably mileage and on road ride.

I couldnt be happier. However, if i wheeled rocks/sand more often i'd probably opt for the wider tire.

Not to mention skinny is sexy... ;)

Right now I,m running the 33x12:50 BFG ATs.The ride and handling are great,I also ran/still have mounted a set of the old BFG MTs in 31x10:50 on stock 7" rims. If i get a set of the new MTs they will be the 33x10:50 and be put on the stock wheels--1-to keep body cleaner,2-I think there is better traction in mud and loose snow with the narrower tire, 3- I like the $100 difference in my pocket.

Wayne

man I was hoping everyone would say go with the wider tire.

but so far its skinny-3, wide-0.

im going to give this to tomorrow, because I want to have these on my jeep before RC on the 23.

Well like Sam said, are you going for a cleaner, stock-ish look? What are you trying to get in that respect? I'd say if you're main concern is performance in the rocks, get the wider tire. I ran 33x10.50s for awhile and I hated how they rolled over more easily compared to the wider tires. Other than that though, they are pretty nice.

:dunno: Flip a coin??

yea I dont look that stock, with the 5.5" long arms, pre runner style winch bumper, and big hellas on the front.

I think I want a meaty'r bigger look from my xj. I see all sorts of terain but I want the most grip when It comes to the rocks. If I get stuck in mud Ill just winch it out.

alright so that one counts for 3 so its tied up.:looney:

Here are a few pics of mine in the 12.50 flavor with 3.5" BS wheels on 5.5" lift. I went back and forth on the 2 sizes too, finally decided on the wider ones. I'm voting for the 12.50s.

IMGP1637.jpg

IMGP1638-1.jpg

Last edited:
im not from your chapter, but i run alot of rocks, i hate mud and snow when i get the chance. and i run 33x10.50's at's on stock wheels(came here to show reference to what you will look like if you go this route) i love my at's i took my xj thru muddy hills and they performed well, wont do as well as MT's but there was a section of rocks i went thru in 2wd that i had to take a year before on my 235/75 bfg mt's in 4wd. im happy with my decision, my xj spends most it's life as a DD so i opted for skinny at's for mileage and tire life

IMG_0082.jpg

IMG_0083-1.jpg

this was just after the install, i took the plastic bumper caps off once i got home

Last edited:
Just my opinion!
If you drive on the road at all Go 10.5, XJs are too light weight for the 12.5s,
The wide tires make the XJ tuff to drive in bad weather! Slides all over the place.

merry xmas everyone. thanks for all the incite. I am very torn over this. but I am going to go for the wider tires. I got some cash for xmas that will more then offset the price for the wider ones.

thanks again. see you all on the 23rd

What the hell is wrong with kids anymore?! Get the skinny's and run a $100 tab at Hooters/Strip Joint... geez... :doh:

Guess i need to come out of retirement.. :wave:

I am running 33X12.50 TSLs on 4" BS and love the ride but the outer lugs rub on the LCAs so I am planning on going to 10.50s.( i know you already made up your mind, just though i'd put in my .02)

Back