• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A Q for the gun nuts and anti-gun nannies

Kejtar said:
Well..... Police accidents and negligent discharges (there is no such thing as ACCIDENTAL discharge btw) are probably on top of the list of gun related shootings inside the house. Problem is most often complacency and lack of respect for the gun. This latter thing might sound stupid, but that's the truth. Firearm is a tool and one needs to use it wisely and respect it and accidents wont happen.....

You've got that right. I see it all the time with people I hunt with. I let them have it. I lecture them to within an inch of their lives. If I don't see immediate improvement they never hunt with me again.

For safety I use this...

gunvaultbioopen.jpg

http://superpageshosting.com/gunvaultcom/gunvaultmultivaultbiometric/

It houses my loaded and chambered .40 cal. along with extra magazine and extra surefire.

It can store 30 fingerprints, so everyone in the house (that has been trained) can have access to it.

I just finished reading this post. There's quite a bit of useful information...kudos to those who reminded people that safety and training is paramount when talking about guns. I'm a gun-owner and hunter in NJ...so my firearms are locked up and have trigger-locks...it's the law if you have children in the house. Would I rather have my .38 S&W near me at night than my baseball bat...sure! I also have other weapons I can get to...if needed.

But,that said, I'm still confident that I can put one heck of hurting on somebody with that piece of wood and protect my family at the same time. I've gone over many situations that may occur and that is what one should do whether you use a gun, knife or bat. Not being prepared is what gets you into trouble.

Just my opinion...I also do the same thing with my vehicle.

FrankDV said:
But,that said, I'm still confident that I can put one heck of hurting on somebody with that piece of wood and protect my family at the same time.

Wow. Thanks again for reminding me why I still live where I do. ;)

Every weapon in my home is kept at "battery" position. The only people that know where ANY of said weapons are located are my wife and myself. This GREATLY reduces the odds of "losing" a weapon to a would-be intruder, the kids finding them or the "OMG, you've got a gun" squad. BTW, the weapon being drawn is the absolute final step in my home. The 2 times that we have had issues (we live in a decidely rural area), one was handled strictly by a severe and brutal arse-whipping given by me to the intruder, who is the oldest son of the county constable (still a dumb-ass to this day) and the second by my wife while I was over the road, by simply stating to the intruder that it was not a stick stuck in his ear, and if he did not believe her, feel free to test her. Lesson learned by intruder: DO NOT break into a house where there is a mother with young to new born children, because odds are, you WILL loose the confrontation. Just gotta' love matrenal instincts.
Oh, and a question on the snazy little gun safe : what the hell are you supposed to do when the battery goes dead in the combo lock- try to remember where the key is, if the stupid thing even HAS one? No thanks, I'll pass.

Last edited:
I have to say, I am honestly impressed by almost every post in this thread with the exception of a couple (not that my opinion matters either way). I am glad to see the responsibility most are relaying, not only responsibility for their guns, but also for their own safety.

I'm a Sergeant with a small PD. I've worked for some pretty large agencies, worked SWAT for 7-years, ran a sniper team for a few and throughout have been a range master at each department. I've been shot at, shot people and had one friend/partner and another very close friend/partner shot and killed during my tenure. I'm not trying to impress anyone with any of this, just making the point that I have experienced some things rather than just relying on what "experts" say.

What I will offer from my own, personal perspective, is if you don't have a gun when you need it, you will regret it. I keep one in my bedroom along with a small dog that hears everything (so it will wake me up instead of the bad guy). If someone is in your house, you are already a victim, whether you like it or not. The only question that remains is, "What are you prepared to do about it." I for one, refuse to stand by and watch something happen to my wife or kids, especially if I could have prevented it. Like Dr. Moab said...Sure it MAY be possible for someone to take my gun and kill me, but they are going to get hurt or dead in the process and my family knows to be running the whole time. That's another thing that a lot of people overlook...What your family should do when things go bad. Mine knows to get the hell away from me because I can't get away if I have to stay and protect them. If they can get to safety, then maybe I can get to safety.

I get super tired of anti-gun folks purporting that LE does not like armed citizens. I for one, love them...when they are responsible. Every cop I've ever worked with feels exactly the same, as I have never heard any say otherwise. I'm sure some exist somewhere, I've just never met any.

As for statistical data, I can almost guarantee it doesn't exist. Some people might have numbers compiled, but as we all know, those are often swayed to whatever outcome a person wants and many times, are just plain false. This is a never-ending argument that can never be ended no matter what "proof" is offerred, as people on each side of the fence will rarely allow themselves to be swayed (I know I won't).

As for the statement that you don't want a bad guy to learn your position from racking your shotgun...well, I argee and disagree. I agree that your gun should be ready and you should be prepared to use it (no posturing and hoping the badguy won't call your bluff). On the other hand, if the bad guy knows he's about to get his ass handed to him, he's likely to think twice. Every person I've ever interviewed after our team made a dynamic entry (fast, loud, shouting, etc.) on them, despite whether they were armed or not, has said the same thing. They lost at least some of their nerve knowing that the other side meant business.

But like I said...it's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Racking a pump, from personal experience, sent an intruder, during daylight hours, out of our house faster than I have ever seen anyone run. I truly do hate the thought of shooting one, the paperwork and news coverage is something I am not interested in. I really don't ever want my 15 minutes of fame unless it is for something really really good. After that the wifes .38 snubby that we bought the next day is a constant and seems to come out of nowhere. She's such a light sleeper I think she'd give an intruder heartfailure just before she pulled the trigger.

ren said:
and the second by my wife while I was over the road, by simply stating to the intruder that it was not a stick stuck in his ear, and if he did not believe her, feel free to test her. Lesson learned by intruder: DO NOT break into a house where there is a mother with young to new born children, because odds are, you WILL loose the confrontation. Just gotta' love matrenal instincts.

Blah blah, that never happened.

I love the Internets! :compwork:

Once again, Ecksjay YOU speak without knowledge of what happened to someone other than yourself. Just because you didn't see/hear about it does not mean it does not or did not happen. Feel free to test that theroy of a mother, or even a father with regards to their children, jack A@#.

ren said:
Once again, Ecksjay YOU speak without knowledge of what happened to someone other than yourself. Just because you didn't see/hear about it does not mean it does not or did not happen. Feel free to test that theroy of a mother, or even a father with regards to their children, jack A@#.

lol, internets!

I had a burglar break into my house, take a look at my living room and then leave...

My home security is infallible!

midget_in_bondage_half_height.jpg

Back