• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A puncture I've never seen before

Matthew Currie

NAXJA Member #760
I was driving home yesterday afternoon on a road where they've been replacing culverts. The ditches are covered with crushed gravel, and after crossing a few of these, I got a flat tire. It's supposedly a steel belted radial, but those belts didn't help much this time. Fortunately, just a crappy tire on my Focus, about to be replaced anyway. Here's an inside shot of the tire.

stonepuncture.jpg

I have a sneaking suspicion that won't be pluggable!

Only a flesh wound.

One time I had a slow leak, and I discovered a 3/8" dia machine bolt in my BFG MT. Talk about a freak occurrence...

Ive seen rocks in tires before. Ive even seen a 3/8 bolt go in through the tread and stick out the sidewall right next to the rim. We have a jar at the shop I work at with some other crazy things found in tires.

Found a 410 ga slug in one of our F-650's tires at work....

One time I had a slow leak, and I discovered a 3/8" dia machine bolt in my BFG MT. Talk about a freak occurrence...

Had the similar problem with the Right Rear Silentarmor on my XJ this past winter, luckily the GY dealer was able to patch/plug it. When I went to pick the tire up from them after work, I asked the people there how big the bolt was, and the kid that took the tire in when I dropped it off and brought it back out to me got this big goofy grin on his face and goes :It wasn't a bolt, it was a big ass self tapper!" while holding his pointer fingers about 4" apart:laugh:

I found a lug wrench in a customer's tire once :roflmao: they had come in complaining of "vibration". The hubcap remover end was through the tread with the lug wrench end hanging out.

I found a lug wrench in a customer's tire once :roflmao: they had come in complaining of "vibration". The hubcap remover end was through the tread with the lug wrench end hanging out.

Someone at my work said his dad had a crescent wrench in his tire. He ran it over on a job site they think, must have hit it just right.

Had a customer come in with a spark plug in the tire last week

Funny... I just had a friend blow a tire on a gravel road in a Neon. He drives that road every day, tires seemed fine... Just must have hit it just right that one time...

i work on cars for a living. 20 years now. iv seen spark plugs in tires. iv seen people have coolant in their tire. iv seen a big nail go through a tire and then come out the inside of the aluminum rim. but the strangest one i remember was the guy that had a slow leak in a rear tire and he saw what appeared to be the head if a nail. hmmm. ok lets pull the tire off and do a quick plug and get you on your way. well i was able to grab the socalled nail with a pair of dykes and pull it out of the tire but it became appearant it was not a nail. came out about 3 inches and stopped. would not come out. vicegrips prybar etc etc. so i proceded to break down the tire and found the handle of a #3 craftsman screwdriver stopping it from coming out. it was a tip ground off screwdriver in the tire handle first. pretty funny. it was a slow leak not just a flat. it was mostly sealed around the shaft of the screwdriver.

Back