• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A front XJ Dana44 axle???

Hola, Felix -

Dé la bienvenida a NAXJA. Tenemos a unos pocas personas en sudamérica que visitan nuestros foros ocasionalmente. Permanezca por favor con nosotros y llegue a ser un participante.

Ciao
-------------------
Translation:

Hello, Felix --

Welcome to NAXJA. We have a few people in South America who visit our forums occasionally. Please remain with us and become a participant.

Ciao

ChiXJeff said:
Yes and no...... you're really thinking of the rear axle, not the front.

It's been reported that non-USA XJs can get front D44s ala TJs (read: D44 knuckles, D30 center section.)

Actually, they have 44 diff's and Dana 30 tubes to knuckles assemblies.

I looked into this XJ front 44 years ago, most went to South America. Did get wind of a warehouse in the USA that held unused front 44 housings that were only available in bulk purchases. I assume that's where Currie is getting theirs.

Just remembered....there was someone here that worked for Dana Spicer. He's the guy who told me about the warehouse here in the USA. He didnt know where it was located though.

Eagle said:
All domestic XJs had Dana 30 front axles. Some export models got D44 fronts, but I don't know which countries.

When I was in Chile I checked out Mike from Chile's '99 and it has a Dana 30. He told me that the Jeeps sold in Chile are built in the United States. The Jeeps sold in Venezuela are built in Venezuela, and he said he thinks those got the Dana 44 front axle.

At one time Jeep had a factory in Mexico and the Mexican Jeeps got some weird stuff (like stroker engines not available in the U.S.). Don't know if Mexican XJs might have had D44 fronts.

None here, though, so you can stop haunting the junkyards.

To anyone looking for the infamous D 44 front high pinion out of an XJ, they were only available in the export models in Venezuela and Brazil as far as i know. This makes them really hard to find and expensive, for you have to have them imported back in and shipping would be massive.

mtkorn1972 said:
To anyone looking for the infamous D 44 front high pinion out of an XJ, they were only available in the export models in Venezuela and Brazil as far as i know. This makes them really hard to find and expensive, for you have to have them imported back in and shipping would be massive.

Not necessarily. I had a friend from Alabama who bought a total of 3 ex-USGS surplus XJs, all of which had Dana 44 front ends. Early 90s models, IIRC. Had a dealer source at one point who had confirmed this for us about 7 years ago. ;) I used to have pics floating around on my hard drive, but it's been a long time ago. These rigs came from lot auctions and were fillers to meet auction requirements. Had to purchase like 8 vehicles at a time and his friends were into large equipment trucks... I've since lost contact with him, otherwise I'd get some more pics.

Back