• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A few Renix era XJ questions....

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So working on my 1998 XJ with a 242 TC and I have a few questions:

I can't seem to easily get it back into 2WD, and I have tried adjusting the linkage, but maybe I am doing it wrong. Got it into 2wd Low, and loosened the bolt and held the shift inside all the way back, but still won't go into 2wd.

The other weird thing is that the transfer case switch for the dash lights was not working, so I got under the thing, disconnected the cable, and with a test wire I grounded each pin, the there respective lights came on the dash panel. So I went to local store, got a new Dorman switch, but it in, and now the green "Full Time" light stays on? What's up with that? The Part- Time light came on once and I have not seen it again,
I assume these switches have three positions, one off, one for the FT light and one for the PT time light.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Enjoy

Both problem can be caused by the switch being threaded in too far, engaging the switch and binding the shifter shaft that it rides on.

Interesting, I will take the switch out and try it.
As I recall when I was testing it yesterday, I had the switch out and I grounded the outside of the switch to the body, and the Full Time light illuminated. But I will check it again..,,,, I did compare the switch that came out with the new one, and they looked the same....

Thanks

2 things. 1 is shifting the 242 correctly:

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014

2, there's a youtube video on adjusting the linkage that I can't seem to find now.

Keep in mind bad motor mounts or trans mount will make the shifting more difficult.

Is it a "1998" or "Renix era"?

Sorry, fat fingers. Its a Renix, 1989

Very use to the 242, since I have one in my WJ, and tried to switch the switch, but it's in different location with different electrical connections.

Back