• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C removal

Hardkor

NAXJA Forum User
So my a/c compressor clutch is bad and not sure if any of the other components are good or not. I have had the XJ for a while now and a/c has never worked. Found an affordable compressor (new) but I am debating on whether to fix it or just remove everything a/c related and clean up the engine bay some. Advice/comments?

Before my current truck, I only ever had working A/C in one of my XJ's for half of a summer. I lived with it, but honestly now that I have it (and sometimes need to be dressed well for customers) I'd hate to be without it.

If it's only the compressor, I'd be tempted to replace it and recharge it. You can get the regulator/vacuum pump setup pretty cheap from Harbor Freight and recharge it yourself. I replaced the accumulator and one of the lines in my truck with parts from RockAuto for like $50.

Then again, if it's a trail rig, I'd probably ditch it.

I agree with Colin, I only have owned one Jeep where my A/C worked, and I'm guessing it was fixed at one point before I owned it. I'd prepare to get into parts darts/hunting for leaks, since I don't think that there's a consistent part that fails with these systems.

I agree with Colin, I only have owned one Jeep where my A/C worked, and I'm guessing it was fixed at one point before I owned it. I'd prepare to get into parts darts/hunting for leaks, since I don't think that there's a consistent part that fails with these systems.

x2 on that.

if you dont need the AC, order an AC bypass pulley. rip out the compressor and the condensor.

Not having A/C helps your cooling system work a little better too ;) I have a large tranny cooler and a PS cooler where my condenssor used to be.

Re: Re: A/C removal

Not having A/C helps your cooling system work a little better too ;) I have a large tranny cooler and a PS cooler where my condenssor used to be.
This is my plan if I remove it. If I do remove it I would like to remove everything ac related including the evaporator that I put in two years ago when I replaced the heater core. Is there anything I shouldn't remove? I like the idea of turn the ac on and having the electric fan come on.

I pulled everything from the firewall forward. One jeep I just left the compressor there and my other jeep I found a factory delete pulley. Just wire up an override aux fan switch.

Mine didn't work when I bought it. Electrical problems. I think somebody tried to fix it and when the air panel was on in any capacity the A/C came on. Vent, heat, anything. It didn't blow cold and needed a re-charge also. Anyway, I pulled everything and feel it runs cooler (or not as hot) but still sometimes on hot days regret not fixing it.

I keep saying I'm going to turn the compressor into onboard-air but too lazy to get around to it.

what year?

early models, replace the compressor, drier, low limit switch and expansion valve. Cost you $200 to rehab it with rockauto prices.

late model, bypass it, I will nearly guarantee the evaporator leaks, so if yu dpon't feel like pulling the dash apart....

'98. I'm leaning towards removing it and been doing some reading on relocating the alternator to the top. Been wanting to upgrade to 136 or 160 amp anyway.

So this weekend I removed the a/c components, installed the bypass pulley, replaced the o - rings in the OFA, changed the oil and degreased the engine from the oil leak. I also installed a ZJ fan clutch but quickly removed it after driving it around for a bit. I did not like the loss of power and constant roar.
Tonight I was trying to figure out how to operate the efan with the a/c switch in the cab. By trial and error I discovered that if you ground the dark blue/white wire on the plug for the high pressure switch the fan will power on with the a/c switch. Didn't know if anyone else knew about this and could use that info. A nice trick to save you from installing another auxiliary switch.

Back