• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C leak ?

Lynn

NAXJA Forum User
I already tried searching for the answer to this, and couldn't find the answer so I thought I'd ask here, maybe if it's not that hard a fix someone can help me out their next trip to Rausch Creek.

I've got an 89 MJ. It's got the classic leak from the dash down into the passenger floor, appears to come from the A/C/defroster, not from rainfall (it's in a garage most of the time). Tommy told me it sounds like something's clogged in the system which directs the water into the cab. Is there a thread somewhere that describes how to fix it?

Hello Lynn,
well first off your problem is you listen to Tommy.

Second, you are going to need someone to go under the jeep and find the drain hole to the heating and a/c and try and blow it out. If I am not mistaken, it is on the pass side near or even in the frame/unibody of the jeep, I forget. A coat hanger sometime may grab some of the stuff stuck in it also.

good luck.

Hey Lynn,
Yeah I think John called it, I have had that happen in a few different cars now. Not the XJ though, the AC never ran long enough for it to clog up. I am not positive of this, but I think you can get to it from above (either in the footwell on the pass side, or under the hood underneath the fire wall) and disconnect the hose and run a coat hanger in there to clean it out. I'll have to take a closer look at the XJ to see where the drain runs.

I agree with John, the pass side floor on my first 87 xj would get soaked untill I ran a small stick thru the rubber drain hose.

Cool, thanks guys. I'll have to check it out this weekend.

Back