• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99XJ cutting out on bumps-mystery solved!

Sobrbiker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey folks, new guy here. Been lurking since I got my 99XJ in August and have learned a lot and used a lot of the great info y'all have and have shared! Thought I'd toss a tidbit in.

My 99 4WD 4.0 AW4 has been a blast so far! I did 2" coil spacers up front, HD Crown springs and 2.5" shackles in the rear, a 1" TC drop and shoed it with 30x9.5-15 Hercules TerraTrac AT3's.
It's gotten me through some crazy terrain out predator hunting here in AZ, but about a month ago it started cutting out at low speed in 4wd. I took it to dealer after I found an "idle undershoot in 4LO" TSB, but it seems my motor was a few month newer than the affected ones.
Problem got so bad this weekend that it was cutting spark on small bumps on surface streets and highways, causing a torque converter code.

I looked around online, and decided to follow the "check the simple stuff first" advice, so I decided to check wiring connections and grounds before chasing TPS, IAC, etc routes.

While under hood I found wire loom at firewall that crosses behind the injector rail lays on the rear of rail, which is basically a square cut pipe at the ends. I jiggled that loomed bunch of wires and the Jeep promptly stalled out. Lifting the loom off the rail exposed the square cut end had worn a hole through the casing and into the insulation of wiring inside. Pulled it up and away with zip ties and all is well!!
Later this week I'll go in and wrap any wires that have rubbed insulation, but thought I'd take a second to share what I found, hopefully I can save somebody in the same situation some time and aggravation!!

I've got a couple pics that show the problem, but don't have them hosted online.

Cheers, and thanks for the great forum!

Back