• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 XJ front end questions

country_kane

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I have a question. I bought some 31s to throw under my XJ. I built my rear and netted about 3". I regeared to 4.11 ratio. All that's left is replacing rear shocks and gaining about 3-3.5" on the front. Any tips or parts recommended? All the posts I see are for leafs but I already did that. Nothing for front end. I thought about swapping front springs for grand Cherokees and maybe throwing a 1" spacer in.

I find the front to be easier. Seems like shock bolts snapping, seized bolts in bushings and such in the back are more of a hasle than anything in the front.

Yea, but even with the shock bolts snapping, the back you can just buy blocks, if you want to go that route. I didn't, but I could have. The front though, you have relocations, and you can't buy spacers over 1.5". So you have to steal coils off a different vehicle altogether and make them work.

Go to the local 4x4 shops where the Wrangler guys get their lifts installed and offer the sales staff $20 for a new set of take-offs from a Rubicon. That'll be plenty.

Coils off a rubicon? Ok, I still need to know what else I'm gonna be looking at having to do. Will I need to lower the TC and shim the rear? I know I will have to relocate the drag links and brake hoses. Will I need longer lowers? What about uppers? And won't I need to get my cam adjusted?

Sorry for all the questions guys. This is my first go at a home build. Last time I bought a kit and my brother got someone to install it for me as a surprise while I was out of town.

Shocks off a JK Rubicon. PAC springs or the OME springs already mentioned.

You don't have to do anything to the steering except get an alignment when you're done. Things get more involved when you have a higher lift. You may not even "need" to do the brake lines.

Don't forget proper bump stops, adjustable track bar to re-center the axle, adjustable control arms to maintain proper caster, and driveline angles. A SYE and double cardan driveshaft in the rear may be needed. The front you don't need to think about as much because it already has a double cardan driveshaft and using adjustable lower control arms takes care of the caster and driveshaft angle at the same time.

A TC drop is a poor solution. It puts more tension on your engine mounts, it lower your exhaust hanger, lowers ground clearance, messes with your transfer case linkage, and maybe something else I've forgotten. You should see my contorted exhaust system from the PO because of how parts were installed before/after the TC drop. One day I'm going to cut it off and straighten it out.

Ok so I got everything done. My only problem now is all 4 bolts broke that hold the rear shock absorbers in. Any tips on how to remove them or relocate the shock absorbers???

Ok so I got everything done. My only problem now is all 4 bolts broke that hold the rear shock absorbers in. Any tips on how to remove them or relocate the shock absorbers???

Plenty of answers to that, just do a quick search.
When Mine broke I punched out the weld nuts, and used some wire to fish in bolts inside the unibody rail to drop down. Then I just installed shocks and nuts like normal. I used stainless hardware as well.

Did you ever get new shocks for the rear? I have a brand new set of Dodge Ram rear shocks that will work on an XJ up to about 4 -4.5" lift.

I'll happily part with them. Where in Mississippi are you?

Back