• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99+ intake on renix 4.0

nitrosloth

NAXJA Forum User
I'm aware that the 1999 and up 4.0 intake manifold is higher flow than the 1998 and previous design. I own a 1990 XJ with a remix 4.0. Can I install this 99+ intake on my motor? Does anything need to be modified? The swap is good for 15-20 hp and I think it would be worth the trouble if its not to difficult. Thanks.

Re: 99+ intake on remix 4.0

I don't think the 15 _20 HP gain is very realistic on a stock motor. And from my experience I have found that the renix head is different than the 99+ intake. The ports are non matching.

Nowhere near 15 to 20 horsepower. IIRC a Jeep magazine put the later manifold on an HO and only gained 3 HP.

The latest Renix Jeep was 1990. It was rated at 182 HP. The HO is rated at 190 HP. No more torque than a Renix and the HP gain is only at the top end. There are other mods you can do to a Renix to gain HP that are much easier and more effective.

You will also need a different fuel injector rail, from what I heard from xcm the injector to injector spacing is different on renix and HO. You would want an injector rail off a 91-95 so that your vacuum based fuel pressure regulator and fuel lines fit it, and to keep the supply/return fuelling system.

You will also need to either adapt your renix throttle body to the obd manifold, or adapt your renix TPS and IAC to the obd throttle body.

As for belts, you will need to do some adapting. What I did when converting from my 91 belt routing (iirc the same as renix) was knock the timing indicator boss off the timing cover on the driver side (since it gets in the way of the 96+ belt path), delete the idler between the ac compressor and the valve cover, install the later model manifold and ps pump, then used a 96 serp belt. I am not sure if going from a renix belt pattern to a 96+ belt pattern will require changing wp rotation direction but I doubt it, still something to verify however.

This is not something I would do - the manifold does not improve things that much. Unless you are looking for a reason to swap to the later style belt tensioner and maybe a WJ power steering pump at the same time, which is an excellent excuse to switch manifolds simultaneously.

You will also need a different fuel injector rail, from what I heard from xcm the injector to injector spacing is different on renix and HO. \
I dont think the injector spacing is differant, but rather how the rail bolt's to the intake manifold. The tips of the injectors also mount slightly differant, about 1/4 differance or so.

Heres a H.O. fuel rail, a renix intake manifold, and an adapter i made. You can see the differance in mounting.

I wouldnt bother, from everything ive read on here from the motor guys, the renix head just doesnt flow enough to take advantage....

Whoops, I thought it was injector spacing, my mistake.

7120 head for me

so it's an HO head.

So you were already going to use an HO manifold and injectors then I assume.

Yes, it will fit. You'll still need all of the 99+ accessories and such.
I also assume you're aware of the need to adapt the renix TPS to the HO throttlebody.

Using an '89 Renix block, ported and polished 7120 H.O. head, '91-'95 fuel rail, CAI, aftermarket header, 99+ intake, 19# injectors, bored Renix TB, no cat and a cherry bomb muffler, we gained about 15 hp over stock. Dyno verified before and after upgrades, 134 rwhp/150 lb/ft after all that work. Through an AW4.

From our experience, if you do the 99+ intake upgrade, you'd need a bored TB and a more free flowing intake to make it worthwhile.

-Matt

Back