• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Cherokee issues

dogchow

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 4x4 99 Cherokee to Colorado to run the San Juans and Leadville area, 3rd in this Cherokee. This time it detonated.
The trails were extra rough this year and at 100k miles it developed several issues. Most have been fixed, (I have been all around it and replaced many mounts, bushings and had to have a emergency $600 open front axle dual u-joint replacement done in Gunnison.) Now on 0-60 harder tourque acceleration there is a mechanical thumping which is hard to pinpoint, but may be in the transfer case area. Motor mounts are fresh, All seems solid. Went around with a prybar and checked all major bushings, mounts. Also inspected exhaust / driveline / front end / and basicly looked for other things loose or falling off. (has stock lift)

The second - The pin in the linkage for the steering dampener refuses to come out. I was told, and after looking at the new parts, It was a tapered shaft. My concern is that I was misinformed and it is a threaded shaft. I tried proper tools to push it through, then I became ****ed and took out the hammers. I had to cut the end flush with a grinder and tried the proper tools again, no go. I just cut the whole shock off so I can drive it to work. I thought about "warming" it up with a torch, but I do not want to do any more damage. There is a hex head between back of linkage and shock end that would never budge either.

Most of the miles are from inerstate highway travel time, but it does have some abuse miles on it. The only really bad rubber was from a busted motor mount (Colorado) and the front sway bar bushings were completely fried.

Oh yeah, I do know about the window rolldown problem, It does seem to be the child-lock switch, I looked at the schematics, I think I can defeat it, just have not had time to put it into motion.
THX Bill

dogchow said:
I took my 4x4 99 Cherokee to Colorado to run the San Juans and Leadville area, 3rd in this Cherokee. This time it detonated.
The trails were extra rough this year and at 100k miles it developed several issues. Most have been fixed, (I have been all around it and replaced many mounts, bushings and had to have a emergency $600 open front axle dual u-joint replacement done in Gunnison.) Now on 0-60 harder tourque acceleration there is a mechanical thumping which is hard to pinpoint, but may be in the transfer case area. Motor mounts are fresh, All seems solid. Went around with a prybar and checked all major bushings, mounts. Also inspected exhaust / driveline / front end / and basicly looked for other things loose or falling off. (has stock lift)

The second - The pin in the linkage for the steering dampener refuses to come out. I was told, and after looking at the new parts, It was a tapered shaft. My concern is that I was misinformed and it is a threaded shaft. I tried proper tools to push it through, then I became ****ed and took out the hammers. I had to cut the end flush with a grinder and tried the proper tools again, no go. I just cut the whole shock off so I can drive it to work. I thought about "warming" it up with a torch, but I do not want to do any more damage. There is a hex head between back of linkage and shock end that would never budge either.

Most of the miles are from inerstate highway travel time, but it does have some abuse miles on it. The only really bad rubber was from a busted motor mount (Colorado) and the front sway bar bushings were completely fried.

Oh yeah, I do know about the window rolldown problem, It does seem to be the child-lock switch, I looked at the schematics, I think I can defeat it, just have not had time to put it into motion.
THX Bill

That tapered bolt in the steering dampner is a witch to get out, I tried my 98 in the driveway and did damage to myself so I took it to a shop where I bought it and had them do it. When it let go it flew across several bays, if that had happened when I did it the wifes olds would have had a new hole in her trunk... On the other hand both TJ's came right out no problem, sheesh...

Now I know for sure that it is tapered, I should be able to remove it.
If I set heavy table mount vise on a floor jack, cut the old one off on the back side down to the bolt head, then put a larger impact socket over that part, hopefully I can push the whole pin into the socket. similar experiments have worked before. I just dont want to have take the arm off the Jeep and drill it out. Plus I really do not want to pay someone else to do it, even though that is probably the smartest thing to do. Thanks!

dogchow said:
Now on 0-60 harder tourque acceleration there is a mechanical thumping which is hard to pinpoint, but may be in the transfer case area. Motor mounts are fresh, All seems solid. Went around with a prybar and checked all major bushings, mounts. Also inspected exhaust / driveline / front end / and basicly looked for other things loose or falling off. (has stock lift)

Look at where the exhaust goes between the tranny support and frame. The pipe will bang on both causing a noise. Doesn't appear to be a problem tho.

Torque by the way.

Sarge

Last edited:
If you press it out yourself, watch out. I put a huge nylon cable tie around mine and wrenched it free. When it let go, it still smacked into the oil pan really hard--it actually stretched the cable tie.

Back