• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Cherokee I6 into a 99 Grand?

My 99 grand has coil on plug, does the XJ engine? There is no mechanical fan on the WJ. The WJ has a true cold air intake. Motor mounts?
The tranny in WJ's with the six sucks. I had to replace ours at 100k. If you can swap in the AW-4, I think you'd be better off.

I need some technical advice on the possibility of swapping ......

XJ and WJ engine block have significant differences in the bolt holes for the belt driven accessories and the motor mounts. Some holes are not drilled and tapped, some bolt hole locations have no metal boss to drill or tap. The coil on plug ignition system is bolt on, and there is no way to use an AW-4 in a WJ.

Finding and installing the correct WJ or 2000+ TJ engine will be easier and involve less work.

I'm really trying my hardest to stay away from the ZJ despite how that seems to be what I may need to go for. The design differences in a WJ vs ZJ are profound with the WJ having tons more interior space and it just generally being better laid out interior wise. I'll need the space for my fam. I did have an XJ b4 though and I dealt with that tiny space (I'm 6'2" 200 and looked like a gorilla in a clown car in my XJ)

If I did end up buying a WJ what engine parts would swap from my cherokee motor? Head? I suppose when the time came for a motor rebuild I could do the top end myself and and have the bottom end done to the same WJ block and really what else is there to rebuild on that motor? I love the I6

Last edited:
XJ and ZJ 4.0L engines interchange. Swap over any parts like the flywheel, manifolds, or sensors as required.

Back