• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ Temp Sensor Wiring Harness Question and OH Console Thoughts

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
Truck: 98 XJ Classic, 80K mi, stock 'cept for K&N air system, header, Dynomax cat and catback, and bored throttle body.

I am contemplating installing an overhead console in my '98 Cherokee Classic. This morning I got under the front bumper to try to ID the temp sensor harness, which, as I understand, should be there even though the truck did not come with the OH console. I could not find the harness, but then I did not want to remove the original factory rubber spash shields.

Can someone advise if I should be looking on the driver's side, center or passenger side for the temp sensor wire? Can it be accessed theough the front grille or do I have to remove the splash shields? I've read all the threads on this, which is why I believe it ought to be there.

Guess what I'm also really wondering is whether its worth the effort. Seems like these are a lot of hassle to retrofit. To those who have installed one on a '98...would ya do it again? BTW, the links to the installation instruction pages no longer work.

The wire harness connector for the temp sensor is in the exact center of the Jeep, behind the front bumper, on the front of the crossmember. The wires run towards the passenger headlight area. You don't need to move or remove anything.

If you get a console from a 1998 the install is plug and play. A few hours of work. You will need to trim the headliner material a little with a razor. Consoles from other than a 98 will need some custom wiring connections to work.

I have some install instructions with pictures, can anyone host them for the group?

Back