• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 XJ keeps locking me out

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
The door locks are randomly locking, which has left me locked out on several occasions and even a few times locked me out while the Jeep was running. Where should I start looking for the problem which I'm assuming is a short?

I've already done that, but since the door locks are hardly used they were siezed or frozen due to the temps.

The door locks are randomly locking, which has left me locked out on several occasions and even a few times locked me out while the Jeep was running. Where should I start looking for the problem which I'm assuming is a short?

Sounds like a short to me. Check the drivers door, drives side switch control, where the wires run from the door to the dash, and all of this on the passenger side. I've never had this happen to me, but that's what I start with.

-Looking lustfully at other Jeeps?
-Smoking?
-Excessive partying?
-Coming home in the wee hours?
-Not paying her enough attention?
:nono:

:cheers:

Is that an OEM lock system? My XJ does that but it is an after market alarm-door lock-remote start system. I could (1) make sure I have the remote in my pocket before I close the door, (2) turn on the interior lights via the OEM in-dash switch or (3) turn the alarm off. Now that is assuming your Xj have an after market system.

engine off,
key on- cycle lock on/off-listen for locks.
Lock off- open and shut doors, bang (gently!) door panel near switches, tap on wiring, etc. while listening for lock sound.
Repeat with Lock on.

A door switch that is just barely engaging? note if any door lights dome when just barely opened a smidge.

You could try disconnecting the sensor in the dome light.

Yes, that always work.
I am assuming the op have an after market unit installed.

Back