• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 XJ will not start please help????

bigdamnyj

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 97 XJ 4.0.

just replaced the head gasket. after cranking she fired up but i had to keep the throttle on or it would die. then all the guages went to 0 including the battery gauge and she shut down. now all it does is crank. doesnt look like im getting spark. i turn the key all the way over and no guage movement. headlights come on fine. anyone have a similar problem?? please help... and im getting fuel to the rail..

i have an 97 XJ 4.0.

just replaced the head gasket. after cranking she fired up but i had to keep the throttle on or it would die. then all the guages went to 0 including the battery gauge and she shut down. now all it does is crank. doesnt look like im getting spark. i turn the key all the way over and no guage movement. headlights come on fine. anyone have a similar problem?? please help... and im getting fuel to the rail..

here is what ive replaced
coil, battery, batt ends, CPS sensor. still no spark. all she does is crank. and none of the cluster guages go up.. all the fuses are good also

i heard this is one of the better XJ tech forums???? im defenetely not seeing the connection... someone has had to of had the same problem..

could i maybe of gotten a bad coil at the parts store?? how do i know if its good or bad...? i know im not getting spark. but would the coil cause the guages not to work/????

that was the only one at first we didnt hook up. it started only ran for a few minutes and i had to apply the throttle to keep it running then it shut down. then i saw that strap wasnt hooked up so i hooked it up hoping that was the problem but it didnt fix it. all she does is crank , no spark and no guage movement.

XJ is running but keeps dieng??????

ok fixed the no start. turned out it was the computer,, now i have another problem. she keeps dieng on me.. then cranks and finally starts. also the check guage light is on and i have no oil pressure according to the cluster, but i am getting oil.. would the oil sensor cause the jeep to just die out..????

im having the same problem. guages are all reading zero and the fuel pump is not priming. All other electronics in the jeep seem to be working fine.

My problem started after a wire on the solenoid grounded out causing the car to stop running. Fixed the wires and now the engine cranks but no start.

quick questions - did you test the computer and if so how did you test it? When the computer was changed did the guages start to work again?

Im not sure if your solution applies to my problem as i drive an '87 renix but i am interested so please keep the thread updated with progress.

Thanks
Mike

i borrowed a scan tool and it said that the computer wasnt responding. so i called the local junkyard, put it in and she fired up. yep all the guages came back to life minus the oil pressure guage.. either its your computer or its the Crank Positioning Sensor CPS.. I took a close look at my computer and one of the prongs inside bent and grounded itself out to another thats how it fried my computer.. so if you grounded some wires its possible. but check your fuses and relays. if you need any help pm me your phone number and ill walk you through it..

just replaced the relays and the guages are back up except the for the voltage. Thanks for the help on the computer but i cant hook up a scan tool as the car is a 1987. Im just gonna start a thread and hope the renix guys can help. Thanks though for the advice!!

Mike

Back