• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Jeep Cherokee brakes lock up...

I understand what you mean about surfacing the rotors. I know I should have them resurfaced every brake job but many times the rotors are not grooved and just putting on new pads is an ok thing to do. Thats basically what I meant when I said I have done it a million times. As for my current situation the rotors were grooved deeply beause the old brake pads wore out to where the the rivets where showing through. I know i should have bought new rotors (which I will do now). Do you really think that will contribute to the wheels locking up though? I didnt mean to offend anyone before. If you read all the responses I got, one was rather nasty and derogatory so that was aimed at him. I should have sent it to him personally I guess and not a mass response. I apologize to everybody, this forum is great and a huge help to me....

Your apology is well put. Quite frankly, IMHO, the offending post was over the top and deserved your initial response.

I understand what you mean about surfacing the rotors. I know I should have them resurfaced every brake job but many times the rotors are not grooved and just putting on new pads is an ok thing to do. Thats basically what I meant when I said I have done it a million times. As for my current situation the rotors were grooved deeply beause the old brake pads wore out to where the the rivets where showing through. I know i should have bought new rotors (which I will do now). Do you really think that will contribute to the wheels locking up though? I didnt mean to offend anyone before. If you read all the responses I got, one was rather nasty and derogatory so that was aimed at him. I should have sent it to him personally I guess and not a mass response. I apologize to everybody, this forum is great and a huge help to me....
When you buy new rotors, buy new pads. Otherwise, they will then groove the new rotors.

First of all I'm not a noob you dummy, try reading my post when you arent high and you will see I said fluid came out of the MASTER CYLINDER as I pushed the pistons back in the bores of the front brake calipers. This is normal and has happened to any car I ever put new brake pads on. The pistons were pushed back in correctly. I have done this a million times. I figured since so many XJ owners have similar problems I figured i would ask about this braking problem too.

Whoa, calm er down there skippy. I have changed brakes that way not knowing any better and never had fluid pour out. As for braking part, its an XJ and well, XJ brakes suck. I didn't mean anything by the noob comment, I was thinking you may have been, I would replace the rotors and pads with premium bbrakes or equivelant and readjust your shoes in the rear or do a disk swap.

Last edited:
Sorry guys I wasnt directing that at all of you it was to the one guy who responded and said "OMG you must be a noob etc".....I appreciate everybodys advice and i thank you for it. However I don't appreciate somebody insinuating that I am a noob or responding to an honest question in such a disrespectful, derogatory matter. Be angry towards that guy not at me...
You don't appreciate being called a noob yet you call me a dummy and insinuate that I'm high. Hmmm... Pot meet kettle. I don't know everything and never claimed to. I also didn't see anywhere in that post that said the "fluid was leaking from the master cylinder" So there is no reason for anyone to be mad at me. Sorry if you aren't a noob I didn't mean you were stupid, we've all been noobs at sometime or another.

Hey listen man maybe I overreacted, I was just a little shocked to see someone telling me "OMG are you a noob" or whatever you said. Maybe I sneed to be clearer in the way I explain myself. Its no big deal, I apologize for my comments as well. Lets get back to fixing our XJ's, Lord knows they need a lot of fixin...Peace brotha

The rears on one of my 96 XJ's is doing this, everything is new with less than 10k on the brake job (which I did myself). After a full inspection I have determined it has to be the shoes grabbing as it gets better after one stop each day.

If its the rear locking up, I'm going with "cheap shoes"

Purchased my '98 XJ new in '97 and had the same problems with the rear brakes grabbing in damp weather until they heated up.
Even with the rear braking assemblies cleaned, properly adjusted and the brake shoes bedded; the braking was still terrible.
Put up with this problem until 2000 when I installed a disc brake conversion on the Corp 8.25; now the braking is outstanding with no grabbing brakes.

I have determined that its the rear drums locking up. Same situation as last few posts, all rear brake hardware is new (cylinders, springs, adjusters, shoes etc.) I didnt replace the drums because they werent scored or grooved and seemed fine. The brakes lock up until they heat up a bit then they are fine. In wet weather however if I brake just slightly on the hard side they lock up and the rear wheels just slide....

could you tell me more about the rear disc conversion you did? write ups? pics? where I can get the parts to do this?

Well, I'm doing an 8.8 swap but there are quite a few threads on here about it. There should be a few write ups on here about it. there are quite a few vehicles to take parts from, ZJ's and KJ's being the most common.

Jesus, enough already. If you hadn't misread his post and insulted him to begin with, you wouldn't be butthurt now.

Ahhhhhh, hush! :laugh3:

could you tell me more about the rear disc conversion you did? write ups? pics? where I can get the parts to do this?

Since I haven't read any reference in your posts to having an ABS D35 rear differential; you must have a Corp 8.25.
There are NUMEROUS ways to approach converting your drum brakes to disc.
The easiest would probably be to go to a local JY and locate a Jeep Liberty 4x4 with Corp 8.25 which comes with disc brakes. Purchase the calipers and mounting brackets, rotors, brake lines and e brake cables and swap them onto your Jeep.
You can reuse your master cylinder, vacuum booster and proportioning valve (just the remove rubber disc from shuttle valve).
When I did my conversion in 2000; there wasn't much available which is why I went with Lincoln Mk V rotors and Cadillac Seville calipers with E brake actuators.
There are disc brakes that can be adapted to your Jeep such as the Dana 35 disc brakes, and then there are manufacturers that make kits such as the Tera Flex disc kit to name just a few.

Charles

Back