• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Grand Cherokee stalling

Forestgnome

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I know this problem has been addressed many times, but my question is slightly different. Mine is a 5.2L. It began stalling when stopping in drive. It always starts back up, but won't idle, which requires me to modulate the throttle to keep it running. It's very intermittant, so it's hard to troubleshoot. I know by other posts that common problems are IAC and crank sensor. My question is, what problems that cause stalling also do not register trouble codes? Seems to me if the crank sensor was failing, you'ld get an idle speed sensor code, right? There's also a code for the IAC, but of course would only register if the solenoid part failed. I do get a repeating intermittant code, but it's for the evap system test.

I've been dealing with this issue for years :soapbox: my jeep would just shut off, I'd wait a minute and it would fire right back up, but nothing being identified from a trouble shooting point of view. The last time it happened, I went and switched out a POS ASD relay from autozone (yeah it was new) but it would overheat (the relay) and my jeep would just die, but it did give me a code, FINALLY, it referenced the ASD relay. I went and purchased a good one, cleaned the contacts and went silly with the electric grease, and I haven't had that problem since. But this is after I've confirmed that I had spark, fuel, and the CPS and CAM sensors were good. I hope this helps?

Back