• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Front end?

JCSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I got a question for you. I have a 96 XJ and I rear ended a van yesterday going 35. The Jeep looks really good, I only cracked the fiberglass front piece in two places, cracked the grill and bent the bumper. Thats it, I was shocked that the unibody didn't bend at all. The back of the van was pushed in about 12"-16". But back to the question, can I replace the fiberglass piece with the better looking 97 front end?

Chances are that the body lines will not line up properly. The 97'+ are more rounded that pre's. I have been looking at doing this to my MJ but it would require new fenders, front clip meaning fiberglass, lightsetc., probbly a new hood also with the cowl wherethe winsheild wipers are. It would look cool but a lot of work and very expensive unless you know where there is a perfect front end for sale very cheap. Good Luck!!

i am doing that to my 89 i found out that all you need are fenders all front grill parts and paint. the hoods are the same as far as i have seen. i have seen it done on cheap xj site.

insertangle.JPG

you need, fenders, flares w/ brackets, bumper w/brackets, plastic ends for bumper, grille, light bezels, and header panel.. hood is the same.

that is an old pic of my MJ.. it's a 90 w/ 94XJ hood and aftermarket
97+ fenders, 98 flares and brackets for flares, bumper off same 98 XJ..

Whats the differance with the fenders? Mine are cut up and I don't run flares. To me it looks like all you need is the 97+ fiberglass and the rest of that junk. Making a tube bumper with stinger, so don't need that either.

top of the fender is round not angle cut. allso did you put the newer flares on the rear?

AaronXJ said:
that is an old pic of my MJ.. it's a 90 w/ 94XJ hood and aftermarket
97+ fenders, 98 flares and brackets for flares, bumper off same 98 XJ..

That is a very sweet MJ.

Where did you find aftermarket fenders in the new style? I can't find them anywhere.

89 with 97+ header

You can fiberglass the upper corner of the 97 header and grind it flat to match the early fender. You need two 2 1/2" bolts to attach the bottom of the header below the headlites (top bolts on)
You can use the early fenders; just trim the 97 bumper end mounting tab (2 holes) off with a razor knife. I used the 99 bumper - but it appears you could use just the late ends if you redrilled. The rear bumper, quarter shields and flares are a direct bolt on - everything fits!

Re: 89 with 97+ header

rsalemi said:
You can fiberglass the upper corner of the 97 header and grind it flat to match the early fender. You need two 2 1/2" bolts to attach the bottom of the header below the headlites (top bolts on)
You can use the early fenders; just trim the 97 bumper end mounting tab (2 holes) off with a razor knife. I used the 99 bumper - but it appears you could use just the late ends if you redrilled. The rear bumper, quarter shields and flares are a direct bolt on - everything fits!

Hey Bob, you wouldn't happen to have a picture of your rig would ya?

sweet mj, now alls it needs is some 35's :party:

no, i left the old MJ flares.. i have since painted the whole jeep olive drab, truck bed lined the bumper ends, fender flares and lower half of the jeep.. who ever had it before me put a crappy 100 dollar paint job that peels. i am however keepin an eye on for newer style mirrors.. did that mod to my XJ and it was one of the best... It also, now is lifted and ridding on 31's still on ikon rims..

here is a pic after the lift and running a set of 32's that i had sitting around..
DSC00039a.JPG

Back