• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96' Xj stumbling and dying (I have searched and read for hours)

I have checked and followed everyone's advice and so far no luck. However, I put a vacuum gauge on it and did a cranking test which the jeep fails miserably. So I may have tuned over a new leaf. My poor results following the cranking power balance test suggested that my timing may be off. So I checked and when the #1 cyl is at 0* before TDC on the compression stroke, the rotor is past the #1 contact/plug wire. Could this be it? When I installed the new dist with the engine swap may I have put it a tooth or two off and it still run and drive?

I have checked and followed everyone's advice and so far no luck. However, I put a vacuum gauge on it and did a cranking test which the jeep fails miserably. So I may have tuned over a new leaf. My poor results following the cranking power balance test suggested that my timing may be off. So I checked and when the #1 cyl is at 0* before TDC on the compression stroke, the rotor is past the #1 contact/plug wire. Could this be it? When I installed the new dist with the engine swap may I have put it a tooth or two off and it still run and drive?
That might be the problem, depending on which side of the terminal the rotor is on. The rotor turns CW, so it should be biased toward the left of the #1 terminal at 0* TDC.
(Assuming the #1 terminal is still near the 'bottom' when observing the cap from above.)

That might be the problem, depending on which side of the terminal the rotor is on. The rotor turns CW, so it should be biased toward the left of the #1 terminal at 0* TDC.
(Assuming the #1 terminal is still near the 'bottom' when observing the cap from above.)

It is to the left of the terminal but past it more like in between #1 and #5 terminals. It may be right but I have never replaced a dizzy before this so I figured its safe to double check. Back to searching I guess:/

Alright guys I'm sure y'all are tired of me bringing my own thread back from the dead...:anon: That being said this will be the last time. The problem is the fuel pressure regulator! I'm 100% sure after running test after test after test, driving it, listening to it and lots of random tricks and remedies I have figured it out. Now, after searching and searching I think I will have to go to the JY to get one. Is there anyway to verify if I am picking a good one from the boneyard? I figured my best bet is to try to find a wrecked xj with the lowest miles possible. Any suggestions?

Alright guys I'm sure y'all are tired of me bringing my own thread back from the dead...:anon: That being said this will be the last time. The problem is the fuel pressure regulator! I'm 100% sure after running test after test after test, driving it, listening to it and lots of random tricks and remedies I have figured it out. Now, after searching and searching I think I will have to go to the JY to get one. Is there anyway to verify if I am picking a good one from the boneyard? I figured my best bet is to try to find a wrecked xj with the lowest miles possible. Any suggestions?

Not much to the regulator, just a diaphragm restricting the fuel return. If no gas coming out of the vacuum line the diaphragm should be good.

Back