• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'96 XJ Help - Error Code

mcnamaag
Not yet I haven't. I was hoping to find 2 more 703 fuel injectors then use some Mopar CCC through the intake. Then replace the stock injectors with the 703s. So far I've only found 1 donor car and thus only 4 injectors. Of course that was dependent upon it not throwing error codes long enough so I can get it to pass emissions which is a requirement to get a tag.

BTW I like your tag line in your profile. I'm retired Army.

Thanks, I'm a 13 yr veteran myself. Army as well. I'd try the seafoam trick before you swap out the old injectors. That way any carbon and gunk that breaks up won't clog up your new ones. Good luck and please keep us updated on the progress. To many threads are started and then drop off without the fix being stated. I can't tell you how many times I've had a similar problem as someone else and after reading three pages of posts it stops without the OP writing what the outcome is/was.

That was my plan in regards to the injectors. I want to do the Mopar CCC or Seafoam and then swap the injectors and spark plugs afterwards. If you have a link handy for the full Seafoam process I'd appreciate it.

I don't. I've done it before so many times it's more muscle memory now. Lol. I know I just followed the directions on the can. With the exception that I use just about the whole can through the intake. I usually use the brake booster vacuum line. There's a new set up from sea foam that's an aerosol and comes with a tube to angle the spray into the intake manifold.

Well, it appears that I have a cracked exhaust manifold which has possibly burned out the catalytic converter. Of course this is what is causing of the P0420 error. The guy at the shop who looked at it owns a CJ and says he has worked on XJ's a lot. He showed me one leak which was at the weld just before the flange. He said it may also have another but wouldn't know for sure unless he took the manifold off. Looks like a new manifold, cat and possibly O2 sensor are in my Jeep's near future.

So does anyone have recommendations for a manifold brand? I know this is "anti-Jeep" but money is always a factor. .. LOL

Go back to the boneyard for the manifold, you just have to find one in good condition.
If the element in the cat is still good, re-use it.
O2 sensor can't be to expensive for a '96 xj at any a/p store.

Well, it appears that I have a cracked exhaust manifold which has possibly burned out the catalytic converter. Of course this is what is causing of the P0420 error. The guy at the shop who looked at it owns a CJ and says he has worked on XJ's a lot. He showed me one leak which was at the weld just before the flange. He said it may also have another but wouldn't know for sure unless he took the manifold off. Looks like a new manifold, cat and possibly O2 sensor are in my Jeep's near future.

So does anyone have recommendations for a manifold brand? I know this is "anti-Jeep" but money is always a factor. .. LOL

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=262040&cc=1180314&jnid=459&jpid=0

This one period! Make sure it has the "new style flex joint" in it. all local parts stores carry this one now or can get it.

Well the old girl passed emissions last Friday. To clear the P0300/301 errors was probably a combination of a few things. The last two were replacing the coil and pulling the fuel injectors, cleaning and replacing the O-rings. A real close inspection showed a few small cracks in the O-rings.

The P0420 error was temporarily fixed by replacing the upstream O2 sensor. Ultimately permanent fix is to replace the exhaust manifold. I'm going to go ahead and replace the down pipe, cat, and put in a new cat back system as well. But since it has now passed emissions I am not up against a deadline of the temporary tag expiring.

BTW I am still looking for 8 703 injectors. I've only found one donor vehicle and need 2 more for my 96 and hopefully 6 for my daughters 98. Mine is the priority of course... LOL, If anyone has any they'd be willing to sell, please message me.

I've had my APN header (Banks clone ftw) on for 7 years without issue. Theyre less than 2 bills, and add a nice sound to the idle. Id recommebnd APN to anyone.
It even survived the pas side block bracket failing. Drove 10 miles of trail n 60 highway home with only 1 mount holdin the motor. No crack in mani.
Stick a flex pipe in after the mani for reliable longevity😉

Back