• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 steering box to 87 steering box

el_roy1985

NAXJA Forum User
When I got rid of my 87 XJ and got my 96, I think I remember someone saying that the steering isn't as powerful. I ended up keeping the power steering from the 87, and now I'm thinking about putting it in the 96.

Is it really better? I mainly kept it for the dropped pitman arm, but if the whole unit is better, I'll put it all in. I don't really need the dropped arm, but I figure it will still help with steering ease. I'll just have to get the tracbar matched up to it again, because with the factory steering, the steering linkage and tracbar are already parallel.

4.5" rusty's springs front and rear with 33" tires, and I did notice that the steering required more effort then on my 87.

I went the other way, I put a 96 box in my 90. I do not see much difference in the power of the box but it seems tighter and smoother.

Functionally and externally they are the same box, but they made slight changes in a snap ring position and seal between the early and late boxes. Unless you are going to rebuild one, there is basically no difference. The piston size, which is what matters on force, is the same.

I see. Maybe it was the actual steering pump that put more pressure out then. Because I definitely noticed it was harder to steer in the 96. Maybe it's just the steering linkage angles.

I doubt it's placebo effect. I noticed a big difference. The 87 was almost effortless to steer while the 96 almost makes me think something is going to break or burst at times. Not while casual driving, just when other forces (sometimes even minor) are involved. I'll try flushing the system and see what happens. On very cold mornings, it is actually almost stuck at times and breaks loose after turning the wheels past a certain point.

I even found the post from when I was first looking at the 96. The third post mentions the steering being less boosted.

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=927443

That sounds like a bad steering gear. I know about steering gears as I port and remanufacture lots of boxes.

Back