• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 and eariler AW4 custom TCM help

Doc_dyer

NAXJA Forum User
I have designed a custom controller based on the arduino microprocessor
it will have a rocker switch panel mounted that will select 3 different on the fly
modes. Eco, Normal, and Rabbit.
I found a flow chart example from someone online. but it is vague at best
as of now there are 27 different shift speeds.
eco, normal, rabbit
Throttle Position, 0-4%, 5-79% and 80-100%
1-2 shift, 2-3 shift, 3-4 shift (depending on input from OD button)
and Torqueconverter lockup
I have set up a menu to adjust each of the different shift speeds.
as of now it has a 16,2 LCD display but I'm in process of enlarging to 20,4 for ease of display.

now for the questions.
when and what criteria do i need the lockup solenoid to engage and disengage

any programming quirks that I need to look out for. like don't want to downshift when X,Y and Z are happening..

since I don't have a 96 or earlier vehicle to test on.
what speeds does it normally shift at.

having a custom controller would allow a diesel motor that would shift totally different than a gasser.
or a stroker.

any help would be appreciated
Thanks,
Bradley

https://youtu.be/_CNJaa3CVDs

any programming quirks that I need to look out for. like don't want to downshift when X,Y and Z are happening..

This is above my pay grade but being able to lock it in any gear would be nice, especially for steep down hills
The AW4 has a bad habit of downshifting from 2nd into 1st without warning, when descending step grades.
My 2001 XJ has a Montana Fab transmission controller that enables locking in 1st or 2nd gear without throwing a CEL, a common problem with the newer OBDII models, not a problem for the earlier transmissions.

Back