• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj to 01 wj power steering pump upgrade.

Unclewolverine

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen several write ups doing this on the 96+ but none for the earlier models.i need to get a new junkyard pump and will probably have more luck finding wjs, as there were no xjs left last time I went. Is it still essentially bolt on for a 95? Will it be too much for stock tires and box?

I run one on a '98 XJ with a stock box. No issues. Not sure on how it aligns with the earlier belt.

Thinking about it, it probably won't work. If you upgrade an earlier jeep to the later horseshoe manifold you have to use the later pump, so there must be a substantial difference.

I think there is a different manifold that came into use in '96 as part of that different belt routing. It is not the horseshoe manifold, but it has mounting bosses for the power steering pump which I believe are different from the earlier H.O. years.

You could probably do the pump swap if you are also willing to change the intake manifold and adapt your belt routing to the '96+ routing. I do not know how much more you would have to change beyond the manifold and the power steering brackets.

I think there is a different manifold that came into use in '96 as part of that different belt routing. It is not the horseshoe manifold, but it has mounting bosses for the power steering pump which I believe are different from the earlier H.O. years.

You could probably do the pump swap if you are also willing to change the intake manifold and adapt your belt routing to the '96+ routing. I do not know how much more you would have to change beyond the manifold and the power steering brackets.

More expense and work than gain I would believe. Probably not even possible, this is my rhd mail jeep, belt routing and brackets are substantially different anyway. I was just trying to save a few bucks over buying a brand new pump and gain a little lighter steering since I'm lock to lock at least 50 times every day.

fwiw - (1) I thought the manifold change came in 2000
(2) my '99 has the pump off a '96

:dunno:

The horseshoe came in '99. I think intermittently. '96 was the 'new' motor. There was the camshaft thrust plate added in '99 also. I have swapped a horseshoe manifold on two '98's. No issues with the PS pump. I think I read that if you swap the HS intake, you need to space out the PS pump about 1/2 inch.

I didn't realise the pumps changed '95-6, so was assuming that what was good for a '96 would work on a '95.

It's possible that there was no belt routing change on RHD's but even if there weren't, I'm not sure how/if that helps; just throwing ideas around really.

If it's any consolation, I ran a WJ for about 6 months & never noticed any difference in the steering (either feel or effort) between it & the XJ. Certainly wouldn't waste time/money on a conversion.

Rhds belt is considerably different, the power steering is in the same place, but the ac compressor is under it so the brackets are different, the alternator is higher and there is a spring tensioner where the ac compressor usually is.

Every write up I read about the wj pump, they drilled out a hole in the xj fitting, im starting to wonder if that is where the gain is and not even the pump itself. Regardless I ordered a regular replacement pump.

I ran a WJ pump and Durango box on my 93. Other than some minor tweaks it worked great. It's only worth while if you are swapping to a bigger steering gear otherwise it provides no benefit.

Rhds belt is considerably different, the power steering is in the same place, but the ac compressor is under it so the brackets are different, the alternator is higher and there is a spring tensioner where the ac compressor usually is.

Every write up I read about the wj pump, they drilled out a hole in the xj fitting, im starting to wonder if that is where the gain is and not even the pump itself. Regardless I ordered a regular replacement pump.

No, don't drill out the hole You need to swap in the XJ one otherwise it will whine.

I didn't realise the pumps changed '95-6, so was assuming that what was good for a '96 would work on a '95.

It's possible that there was no belt routing change on RHD's but even if there weren't, I'm not sure how/if that helps; just throwing ideas around really.

If it's any consolation, I ran a WJ for about 6 months & never noticed any difference in the steering (either feel or effort) between it & the XJ. Certainly wouldn't waste time/money on a conversion.

The WJ is a heavier vehicle. Also, might be just the V-8 had a better PS pump. Also, I replaced the threaded fitting from the WJ, with the XJ's.

Just to be sure I understand, it's not that the WJ has better power assistance but that a (possibly) better pump for a heavier model will improve the XJ's

The WJ had a hydraulic fan on the V8's that use the PS pump. The WJ technically has a higher CFM so in theory it allows you to use a bigger box. Using a WJ pump on a XJ with a stock box isn't going to do anything.

Just to be sure I understand, it's not that the WJ has better power assistance but that a (possibly) better pump for a heavier model will improve the XJ's

Yes, a bit better in my opinion. I think the basic pump is the same. It might be a different spring rate to increase PSI a bit. I think some have done that to a plain XJ PS pump.

Oh yeah, don't I know about that hydro-fan: adds a whole new dimension to radiator replacement!

OK, so no improvement, well maybe a little (depending on whose view you align yourself with) but, as I recall, the original idea was to use a WJ pump simply because they're more available - so, if there was any improvement it'd be a bonus.

The hrydo fan for the WJ, I think was just a few years. Its mainly a port off the PS reservoir. I just plugged it and its OK. The XJ's reservoir does not fit the WJ pump though. I hear the KJ's does.

Correct, IIRC 01-04. It's actually run from the pump direct to the fan then to the gear then from the gear to the bottom of the reservoir. I just swapped my entire PS in my WJ.

Personally I don't see any benefit in a WJ pump unless you're swapping a bigger gear. As for an upgrade to the cooling system not really. In it's a great idea and design but execution leaves something to be desired.

Back