• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj parts on an 89 xj?

Ulver44

NAXJA Forum User
i have an 89 xj and there's a 95 2wd xj on the other side of town being parted out. will these parts interchange?

Liftgate Support Ball Studs
Liftgate Support Arms
Rear swaybar mounts (for ball pin eliminators)
front driver's fender

is there anything else i should grab, ie. any parts that are common to go out/easy to pull? both have 4.0's. thanks

I believe all of that should fit just fine. Ball studs and support arms might not but I'm pretty sure they will.

the small parts won't be a problem, however I'm not 100% about the fender, since the header panels were changed up with every engine iteration and I don't know how the Renix panels affected the fenders. I think they're okay but some searches on body panels would be well advised

The fenders changed every engine iteration? I'm 99% sure the site I bought my fender from a while ago claimed it would fit 84-96. I'll have to check the parts catalogs and see what they say.

EDIT:
Fenders 88-90: 5700 0066-7, modification required for XJ Wagoneer but not for Cherokee/Comanche
Fenders 91-93: 5502 9858-9, listed as modification required per year however.
Fenders 94-96: different for each year as well as different numbers for 95 and 96 export models

Seems you're right.

Last edited:
In my experience the modification is minimal or not necessary. So if you can grab the fender for cheap then do it.

I once parted out an 89 and have put various bits of it into a 93 and a 95.

All glass will interchange. Doors may not owing to change in hinges and latches, but otherwise the sheet metal should interchange. Grille/bezel, etc. will interchange only as a unit, not piece by piece. Gas tank and fuel pump will. Bumpers will. Starter will fit physically, may require small mod of connectors to go from 89 to 95 (done it) but probably nothing needed to go the other way.

Seats, steering wheel and gauge cluster will not. Dash switches will. Tail lights will. Mirrors will. If you can get whole hatch consider doing if it's any good. Wiring may differ, but the unit itself is the same. Rear wiper motor is different but can be made to work. Front wiper motor may have different plug connector, but it and linkage are otherwise the same. Most engine bay internals will not interchange, but the MAP sensor will, so you could grab that for a spare. Heat/AC blower motor will interchange. So will blower resistor unit in the cab.

If the stuff is free, look for anything that looks as if it might fit, and throw it in, sort it later. If it doesn't fit yours, it will fit someone else's.

Back