• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Chevy 2500 4x4 diesel

Those motors are not all that great. No power, they blow head gaskets, strip head bolts, kill injector drivers, injector pumps suck. Other then that they are easy to work on. I worked in a job shop for about a year and seamed like they were the only thing I worked on. I would buy a 1st gen Dodge before I bought a Chevy. I hate to say this but I would buy a 7.3l idi non-turbo Ford if I had to.

My dads got a 98 3500 4x4 4 door. For a turbo diesel, it sucks. It will get up and run when it's empty. It is GUTLESS when towing. Gets only 13mpg empty around town. The inner CV boots like to tear too...

Depends on what you want to do with it. I've had two; a 96 K2500 pickup and my current 97 K2500 Suburban. They're not going to pull 24,000lbs at 80 mph while getting 30mpg like a Cummins will :rolleyes: but they will get you where you need to go.

The one you linked looks really clean. Spend another $50 on an extension cable and get the PMD all the way out of the engine bay and that will help with reliability. The PMDs are very subject to heat and will fail on a whim. You can bolt the heatsink & PMD to the inside of the front bumper to keep it cool.

Head gaskets. Keep the coolant temp down and boost below 15PSI. High engine temp (anything 210+ for extended period) and excessive (for a 6.5) boost will pop them. What actually happens is the head bolts stretch and the gasket leaks.

Don't expect it to pull like a 7.3 or 5.9 because it wasn't designed to. It was designed to get decent fuel mileage in an era when diesel was cheap.

Check out thetruckstop.us or thedieselplace.com forums for more info. These engines get a bad rap, but are still good powerplants.

Here's the Sub doing what I bought it for:

IMG_2005-1.jpg

Edit: I will say this - if I wanted a vehicle payment, I would probably have bought a PSD Excursion or CCLB F250. However, I have a 3/4 ton diesel that does what I need and it's paid for.

You could always put a big block or built LSx in it..

When I decided that a Suburban was the route I wanted to go for a tow rig, I got excited when I found out they came factory with a 6.5 turbodiesel! Then I researched them. Then I test drove one. I won't pile on the 6.5 hate because there is a ton on the internet already and I don't have much experience with them anyway. I will also say that I don't think the one I test drove was running correctly.

From what I gathered, the 6.5s needed a decent amount of upgrades (cooling, PMD relocation, etc) to be reliable, didn't take abuse well so how the previous owner treated it could play a huge roll, and were going for about $1k more than a similarly equipped gas truck. Those things and the fact that gas is about 20% cheaper than diesel (which comes close in my mind to offsetting the mileage advantage diesels have) I ended up with a clean 96 Burb with the 7.4L gasser with 166k for $2900. It needed a little work, but nothing major. Power wise, it is very respectable. I got about 9.5 mpg towing on the first trip pulling 7k or so and loaded with tools and camping gear. The only thing that makes me wish I had a 6.5 is the ability to run it on biodiesel or veggie oil (although the latter seems to be questionable on the 94+ models anyway).

Long story short, I'm happy with the tried and true big block. It's reliable and parts are cheap, and there are deals on them all over. The only Cummins I could find even close to $2900 were usually sitting in field somewhere. That being said, my long term plans for it include a 12 valve Cummins.

The 6.5 is closer to the 350 mpg wise. Your 454 will get considerably worse mileage than the diesel. My brother has a Chevy 3500 dually with the 454 and he gets 9mpg just cruising around town. Another guy with the exact same truck, just with 4x4 and diesel gets 18. That's the main reason I'm looking at diesel. But the more I drive my old Ford with the big block, the more I lean back towards a gas V8...they're just so much more fun...:D
I worked the math on older K5s comparing the 350 to the 6.2 and even with the increased cost of diesel, it was still cheaper than gas. But the big thing I can think of that could come into play is just the diesels tend to require more maintenance. At least, oil changes and such cost a lot more.

What do diesel's require more maintenance on?

Other than buying more oil for oil changes.

I also go 5k miles on regular 15w-40 in my CTD vs the 3k miles on regular 10w-30 that I did with my XJ.

I also go 5k miles on regular 15w-40 in my CTD vs the 3k miles on regular 10w-30 that I did with my XJ.

All you need is one injector pump to go out and the difference between the cost of gas and diesel is made up. Reman electronic injector pumps start at $1200.00 and go up. The only way I would ever consider going back to diesel is with a 2nd gen. cummins 12v.

Oil changes were the main thing I was thinking of.

Find an older running/driving step van with a CTD 4BT and swap that in your Ford..

It'd still sink in the sand too easily and lack a back seat so I can carry the family out camping/wheeling. That's the main reasons I'm looking for a 4x4 ext cab/crew cab pickup to replace the Ford.

All you need is one injector pump to go out and the difference between the cost of gas and diesel is made up. Reman electronic injector pumps start at $1200.00 and go up. The only way I would ever consider going back to diesel is with a 2nd gen. cummins 12v.

How often do those friggin things go out?

My friend is on the original at 120k miles in his '99.

Mine was done by the previous owner before I got it at 86k miles.

I have 153k miles on it now, including running it out of fuel once and driving all the way home from PA (400mi) on 0 fuel pressure.

I'd say they're a little bit better than people make them out to be.

Oil changes were the main thing I was thinking of.

I can see the initial cost, but like I said I can go further on an oil change than I could on a gas engine.

Injection pumps seem to be hit or miss for longevity. I add 1 pint of ashless 2-stroke oil (TCW3 outboard oil) to the tank each fillup to help lube the pump. The switch to ULSD killed the fuel's lubricity, and the older style injector pumps needed that to prolong their life.

A injector pump for a 6.5 is certainly expensive, but a set of injectors for a Duramax or Powerstroke will set you back even more.

How often do those friggin things go out?

My friend is on the original at 120k miles in his '99.

Mine was done by the previous owner before I got it at 86k miles.

I have 153k miles on it now, including running it out of fuel once and driving all the way home from PA (400mi) on 0 fuel pressure.

I'd say they're a little bit better than people make them out to be.

I can see the initial cost, but like I said I can go further on an oil change than I could on a gas engine.

This is kinda my point with the electronic 6.5l 86k 120k. I worked for a shop that all I seamed to do was change them and Bosh vp44's.

How often do you change your oil? They only hold 7 to 8 quarts of oil,That's only 2 more then a 350 gas. What I mean is Ford/International 6.9 7.3 hold 11 7.3 Powerstroke holds 15 and 5.9 Cummins hold 12 to 16. I've always been told Chevys diesels were never a real diesel. When I was young I knew a guy that put 6.2 cranks and rods in his Oldsmobile performance builds. I don't know if it's true but he told me they started life as a modified gas 350ci olds.

Dave

This is kinda my point with the electronic 6.5l 86k 120k. I worked for a shop that all I seamed to do was change them and Bosh vp44's.

How often do you change your oil? They only hold 7 to 8 quarts of oil,That's only 2 more then a 350 gas. What I mean is Ford/International 6.9 7.3 hold 11 7.3 Powerstroke holds 15 and 5.9 Cummins hold 12 to 16. I've always been told Chevys diesels were never a real diesel. When I was young I knew a guy that put 6.2 cranks and rods in his Oldsmobile performance builds. I don't know if it's true but he told me they started life as a modified gas 350ci olds.

Dave

The Olds 5.7 diesel was a modified 350. The 6.2/6.5 were designed by Detroit Diesel for GM as a standalone engine, not based on anything.

Back